Monday, January 8, 2018

Tuesday Tales - Twig




It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have one last snippet from Last Defense, Harrisburg Railers #5, an MM hockey romance book coauthored with RJ Scott. Next week I’ll have a new book rolling so as RJ and I will have finished with this story.
Our word prompt today is “Twig”. This scene takes place after something rather traumatic happens. What that is remains a secret until the book comes out on 5/16. *wink*

This story may have gay erotic scenes, strong social issues addressed and mature language. If those things offend now is the time to move onto another Tuesday Tales blog. Thanks for stopping by!




“Ben, I’ll be right here. You’ll be safe. Sleep.” He ran his fingers along my jaw. Bucky licked my face. Max turned off the light and pulled the drapes shut. I vaguely heard him calling to the dog. That was all I remembered. I think Max woke me up to swallow some pills. Then there was heat on both sides of me: man on the left and dog on the right. Nothing much wiggled in after that. When I woke up I was facing my dog. 
“Hey, Winter Soldier.” I reached out to pet him and grimaced. Ouch. Man, flesh wounds hurt big time. Bucky leaped down from the bed, ran in circles while barking, and then jumped back up while I was slowly working on sitting up. I heard someone heavy coming up the stairs. Max flew into the room like Satan was nipping on his heels, beautiful eyes wide.
“Why is he barking?” Max asked. Bucky yipped a greeting to my lover then flopped down next to me.
“He’s happy I woke up, I guess.”
Max’s entire body exhaled in relief. “Scared me. I thought…well, I thought something had happened or someone--,” he shook that off, looking brittle as a dry twig. “Not important. You look better.”
“Yeah, I feel better, I guess.” I glanced at the clock beside the bed. It was five after five. No wonder I felt rested.
“You want something to eat?”
“In a bit. Now I want a shower and a toothbrush.” I pushed to my feet and Max was right there. “I’m good. Really. It’s just a flesh wound,” I said in my best Monty Python manner.
He wrapped me into a hug that I stayed in for a long, long time. Bucky snuffled at our legs, doing his best to wiggle in between us.
“Silly pooch,” Max smiled, reaching down to scratch Bucky behind an ear. “Go shower. Dinner’s covered. We’ll eat and then we’ll talk.”
“I love you.” I just wanted to say it because it needed said. Often. Every day, hell every hour if possible.
“I love you too.” He kissed my brow then padded off, Bucky opting to stay with me as I showered and pulled on some clean briefs, shorts, and a soft tank top. Lowering and raising my arm hurt. I was not action hero material, I guess.
When I stepped into my tiny kitchen a big man was putting plates on the table. Just two plates but my gosh there had to be twenty casserole dishes scattered over the counters. I threw Max a befuddled look. He shrugged.
“The Rose of Beulah congregation has been busy.”
“Well I guess so,” I murmured as I studied the pans of lasagna, chicken casserole, tuna casserole, red beans and rice, and macaroni and cheese. Pies and cakes were stacked up by the coffee pot which, praise be to Jesus, was full of fresh coffee.





Copyright 2017 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.



6 comments:

Susanne Matthews said...

Great post. Love how excited the dog is. Best of luck with this book.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Susanne!

Jean Joachim Books said...

I love that the church people gave food! Great piece of descriptive writing of the aftermath and his beginning his recovery. The dog always adds so much. Great job, as always.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Love that hug! I'm glad coffee was there for him. I know just how he feels about that.

Trisha Faye said...

Noooooo! You and Jean, both of you leaving us while we're still wanting more of the story. Now we have to wait until May??

Tricia said...

I love how Max is taking care of him. Well, and Bucky too!