Monday, January 15, 2018

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt




It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have a snippet from Overtime which is book #4 in the Cayuga Cougars series. In today’s snippet Sander March, our storyteller, meets one of the two men who will steal his heart. The scene takes place at a sports banquet for Twin Tiers athletes.

This week is our picture prompt and all snippets must be 300 words or thereabouts.

This story may have gay erotic scenes, strong social issues addressed and mature language. If those things offend now is the time to move onto another Tuesday Tales blog. Thanks for stopping by!





The dining room was vast, filled with tables all done up in red and white and people in suits and cocktail dresses. One side was lined with buffet tables and the rich smells of garlic and coffee filled the dry air.
“If you’re interested in the woman in the blue dress, she’s not on the market.”
I glanced to my right and got a smile that could shame the moon from a man almost too beautiful for words. Dark brown hair with all kinds of curls, deep brown eyes, skin the color of creamed coffee, and a playful dimple. He was an inch or two taller than my six feet, lean, with long arms and legs. Probably about my age of twenty-six or close to that.
“She’s not my type,” I dully replied, hoping that I could tug my gaze from those soulful chocolate eyes of his before it became obvious I was staring.
“Too old?” He stepped closer, our shoulders brushing.
“Too female.”
“Oh.” He leaned in a little closer, the pressure of his arm growing against mine. “I like older women and hot green-eyed men in suits who forgo that old tie makes the suit mantra.”
“Shit.” How had I forgotten my tie?
“The look works for you. Mateo Castillo. I play centerfield for the Elmira Egrets.”
“Sander March. Baseball huh?” I took the offered hand and shook it. A nice warm sizzle happened when skin met skin.
“Yeah, minor league, double A. And you play what?” Mateo still had my hand.
“Hockey, up in Cayuga.” I tugged free and got a sassy wink from the centerfielder. “Not sure why I’m here to be honest.”
“Yeah? Do you suck?”
Okay, now that could be taken as a come-on or as a slam if one didn’t catch the glimmer of mischief in his eye.
“No, actually, I’m leading my division in goals and am tied with my winger for assists.”
A couple sauntered by, nodded, and then continued to the buffet tables.
“Then that’s why you’re here. They must have seen you play. Want to grab some food and a table?” I could see that people were now starting to move toward the buffet tables. “We can sit and talk sports until we both lose and go home all sad and dejected.”



Copyright 2018 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.



9 comments:

LeeAnn said...

He gets two? Hot damn!
*cough* I mean, sounds like a great book.

Susanne Matthews said...

Nice. Like the natural feel to the dialogue. Well done.

Tricia said...

Oooh! I love their banter! I can't wait to see where this one goes!

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks all! And yes, he DOES get two.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Great lively scene! Love the dialogue.

Cathy Brockman said...

I kept swiping for more.. forgot it was a snippet not a book lol I’m ready for this. I think Sander can be the nex Vic

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for dropping by Flossie and Cathy!

Don't let Vic hear you saying that, Cat. *wink*

Jean Joachim Books said...

Great banter between the two athletes! Nice to see baseball making an appearance. Great beginning!

Jillian said...

great use of the picture and I love this line: "A nice warm sizzle happened when skin met skin."

Love the last sentence, too.