Monday, October 9, 2017

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt




It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have a snippet from a new MM hockey romance book, Lost in Indigo. In today’s excerpt Mat is having a talk with his nurse after disobeying her orders to stay in the sick bed on the first floor of his house.

This week is our picture prompt and all snippets must be 300 words or less and reflect the image chosen. 

This story may have gay erotic scenes, strong social issues addressed and mature language. If those things offend now is the time to move onto another Tuesday Tales blog. Thanks for stopping by!





“You remind me of my sister. She was mule-headed much like you.” Nurse flung the double doors of my bedroom open and I rushed in, disregarding her comment about being mule-headed. “Once when we were young women before leaving for college, she broke her arm riding her bike. She loved to bike and would ride for miles and miles up and down the St. Lawrence, stopping and sitting beside the river to watch it flow.”

My bedroom. Finally. I was so proud of myself. Amazing how quickly the things that fill you with pride can change. A month ago, nothing short of holding that silver cup over my head would have done so, now, getting to the second floor of my old home made me slaphappy.

“So, your sister. She was determined like I am?”

Nurse snorted. I wasn’t sure if it was humorous or dust in her nose. I glanced back over my shoulder but saw nothing on her emotionless face to give me a clue. 

“Determined. Yes, that’s one word for her. She left home one day on her bike and didn’t return. The police found her body four days later floating in the river.”

“My God, I am so sorry for your loss.” I wiggled around on my dusty bed to try to see her better. All I saw was her stiff white back now as she folded one of the drop cloths into a square so sharp the corners would cut you.

“It was many years ago but thank you for your condolences.” She turned to face me then, her gray eyes cold as flint. “That is what happens to people who don’t listen to the concerns of those who are caring for them. My mother and I would warn her constantly about going off on that bike alone, but she never listened. I’ll go call the cleaning company and inform them that they’ll need to come back to do this room. Rest now, please, and do not go out on the balcony alone.”

I nodded. She walked out, folded cloths in her arms, her step brisk.

Cher dieu,” I whispered then fell back onto my naked bed. So much for my good mood…



Copyright 2017 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.



10 comments:

Jean Joachim Books said...

Wow. Powerful scene. Looks like he's met his match in this nurse. And she's not taking any guff from him. I love how you build a character in so few words.

LeeAnn said...

That is one heck of beginning!

Susanne Matthews said...

Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Great post!

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Love that nurse. She is an effective piece of work. Great excerpt.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all so much!

Cathy Brockman said...

Great snippet she is a force to be reckoned with!

V.L. Locey said...

Oh, Nurse is quite something! Thanks for visiting, Cat.

Trisha Faye said...

What a great way to use the picture prompt to jump into a powerful beginning scene. Loved it!

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks so much, Trisha!

Tricia said...

I could feel his joy in finally making it to his room. And I kind of took the nurse’s words to heart...
Great job!