Monday, September 24, 2018

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt





It’s time for Tuesday Tales!



Welcome back! This week is our picture prompt week and all posts must be 300 words or under and reflect the chosen image. Today we have a snippet from Neutral Zone, A Railers Christmas Novella, written with RJ Scott. Today’s excerpt shows us a wee bit of Ten’s first trip back home after spending some time in a specialty rehab in Arizona.

Thanks so much for dropping by!



As always, the talk at any Rowe gathering soon turned to hockey, our teams, and how we were doing in the standings. This would, inevitably, turn into a dick swinging contest between Brady and Jamie. I poked at the slab of saucy noodles on my plate, the thumping headache souring my appetite. Both Lisa’s tried to stem the hockey talk after giving me several furtive glances, but the two elder Rowe’s were in full cock battle mode.
“… just saying that if your attention were on the odd man skating high…”
“…difference in a one-man or two-man forecheck….”
“…left wing lock like Montreal and Detroit have used…”
“…New Jersey trapped their way to how many Cup wins and never…”
“…not every team can be a free-flowing team…”
“…get his opinion. What do you think, Ten?”
Mads tapped my knee with his. I lifted my eyes from my lasagna and was shocked to discover that Mom had cleared the table and placed a massive chocolate cake in front of me. When I looked around me everyone at the table, down to Jamie’s little girl Bethany, were staring at me. My brain slammed down as all the words spoken around me in the last half hour all tried to jam themselves into my head at once.
“Uhm…I guess I’m…the forecheck is kind of, I never…the odd man… uhm, could we…I need to… fuck.” I buried my face into my hand.
The deafening silence that fell over the table made my shaky breathing sound louder.
“I think it’s time for Ten to relax for a bit. Too much over-stimulation shorts him out a bit,” Mads said, pushing to his feet and taking me by the elbow. No one, not even Bethany, who was a jabber-monkey, said a thing. “Come on, babe.”





Copyright 2018 ©by V.L. Locey & RJ Scott

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.


6 comments:

Jean Joachim Books said...

Wow. Interesting snippet. I feel the tension growing as the conversation continues. Nicely done.

Susanne Matthews said...

Love the jabber monkey line. Great work.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you Jean and Susanne!

LeeAnn said...

I need to hug Ten...now.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Love the battle and the last line!

Trisha Faye said...

Nice scene. Great way to create the tense feelings.