Monday, July 23, 2018

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt





It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have a snippet from Liam According to Liam, my current MM hockey romance novella. I’d found this half-finished tale in my files recently and fell back in love with the premise as I read over what I’d written way back in 2016. Since this is close to being done, this might be the only peek into this novella that I’ll be able to share. Don’t hate me! *hides behind couch*

A short synopsis is that web-designer Mike Kneller took in his younger sister when she turned up pregnant at sixteen and their parents threw her out. Now he helps keep an eye on his nephew, Liam, as he works at home. Mike also blogs on the side, and his blog is titled ‘Life According to Liam’. Mike is a huge fan of the Pittsburgh Ravens and their goalie, Bryn Mettler.

Life being what it can be, Bryn is shown Mike’s blog and the star netminder finds himself drawn to the man with the sparling green eyes and easy laugh. The two meet and sparks fly.

In this scene, Mike and Bryn are having coffee at a small eatery. This week is our picture prompt and all snippets must be 300 words or thereabouts.

This story may have gay erotic scenes, strong social issues addressed and mature language. If those things offend now is the time to move onto another Tuesday Tales blog. Thanks for stopping by!




I found out a few weeks later, when I joined him for lunch in a small eatery just a block down from the arena. It was a quaint little place smack dab in the city, decorated with country furnishings such as butter churns and hutch cupboards painted white and blue, calico drapes, and old-fashioned paintings of farms on the white-washed walls.

“How was morning skate?” I asked as I dumped some cream into my coffee.

“Well enough. We’ll see if performance improves on the ice tonight. Michael, I’m glad you could join me here on such short notice. I know you’ve been working on your job requests.”

“Please, as if filling out another online job submission can compare to joining you for coffee and Danish.” I smiled at him but got a skittish sort of look in return. A flicker of unease lit up in my belly. “Is there something wrong?”

“No, no. Nothing wrong just…” he trailed off, his gaze on the dark blue mug resting between his palms. He raised his eyes from his coffee to me. “I want you to move in with me.” We sat there staring at each other like two dimwitted dolts. When I said nothing in reply because my brain had screeched to a sudden stop, he fumbled over himself to try to make things less awkward. “I know that was sudden, yes? Yes, it was too sudden, but we’ve been dating for several months now and I’ve been contemplating bringing up the subject but…well, life would interfere, or I’d lose confidence in myself. Then Liam called me Uncle Bryn and somehow, deep down, I knew that I wanted to be part of your family. I want more than what we have now, Michael. I want to wake up beside you every day, see you blink awake and glance at me then smile as you do as if I were the most glorious thing on the planet.”



Copyright 2018 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.



4 comments:

Susanne Matthews said...

Well done. Good luck with your story.

Jean Joachim Books said...

What a lovely, romantic moment!! Great story. Can't wait to see how Liam reacts to his new uncle moving in.

Tricia said...

Wow! What an awesome brief glimpse! I love their attraction even if it was awkward. And I can feel how they feel. Great job!

Jillian said...

nice segue into the picture prompt.