Monday, May 7, 2018

Tuesday Tales - Heavy



It`s time for Tuesday Tales.




Today we have an excerpt from Shake the Stars, my current MM contemporary romance WIP. This story centers on a summer romance between Dane, a recent high school graduate, and Keenan, who will be a junior in college come fall. They meet at a lodge in the Pocono’s where Dane and his family are guests and Keenan’s employed as a lifeguard. This is a first love, second chance to find love novel.

Our word prompt today is “Heavy”. In this scene Keenan and Dane have their first of many early morning meetings. 

This story may have gay erotic scenes, strong social issues addressed and mature language. If those things offend now is the time to move onto another Tuesday Tales blog. Thanks for stopping by!




Dad left Sunday evening. The patio was covered with debris and puddles, so I was stuck sleeping under James again. Sleep was elusive. I tried lying on my back and chest, left side and then right, but nervous energy snapped and surged through my veins and along every synapse. If he came to the creek tomorrow to pray I would call him to this side. And we’d talk. I’d tell him all the unspoken words. Then what would happen was in the hands of destiny.

I dozed for a bit, falling off around two and then coming awake sharply at five thirty. I sat up, choking on my breath, terrified that I’d missed sunrise. My eyes flew to the glass in the patio door. It was still dark, but a fine glimmer of a distant sunrise was caressing the sky. I slid out of bed, pulled on some shorts and a tank top, and then slid outside, closing the door, hand on the knob and heart trying to slam free of my rib-cage.

When I turned he was there, barely visible, standing on the opposing bank, the white of his gauzy pants drawing the meager light. Was he searching the decreasing darkness looking for me as I was for him? Legs feeling weak but heart beating stronger than it ever had before, I walked out past the tree that I had previously hidden behind, exposing myself fully.

A lone warbler sang out and then silent, the first song of the day slipping into the heavy moment. Would he see me if I waved? I took a step, paused, and then another and raised my hand. He mirrored my movement. A thrill shot through me. Lifting my hand again, the warbler sang once more as I waved him over.

“I’ll be right over,” he called to me, his voice loud and brash in the quiet of dawn. My head spun like an owl, ears picking through the sounds of day and night intermingling, listening for the sound of my mother or brother. Hearing nothing but the soft chirrup of crickets and the babble of the brook, I looked back at Keenan.

He stripped off his gauzy-looking pants and dove into the water in just his underwear. I threw aside my timidity and dashed to the creek, panic gripping my insides when he didn’t come back up for what seemed a lifetime. I stood on the edge of the muddy bank and danced from foot to foot riddled with anxiety. When he did break the surface, it was near where I stood. My lungs emptied in a rush. I crouched down by the creek bank. It was perhaps a foot of clay mud and rocks until the water met the land. Keenan pushed his hair back from his face and grabbed the land, pulling his upper body up out of the water until he could rest his arms on the ground. My mind was foggy with lust. He was so masculine, so beautiful, that I felt enraptured as if I were an ancient Celt witnessing a selkie coming to shore.




Copyright 2018 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.



3 comments:

Tricia said...

The scene, the sounds, everything is so intense. I can’t wait to hear what Keenan says when Dane tells him how he feels. Great job!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you!

Jean Joachim Books said...

Beautiful descriptions, as always. And marvelous use of the word prompt! I love this story!