Monday, April 30, 2018

Tuesday Tales - Rose





 It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have an excerpt from Shake the Stars, my current MM contemporary romance WIP. This story centers on a summer romance between Dane, a recent high school graduate, and Keenan, who will be a junior in college come fall. They meet at a lodge in the Pocono’s where Dane and his family are guests and Keenan’s employed as a lifeguard. This is a first love, second chance to find love book that spans ten years in Dane's life. 

Our word prompt today is “Rose”. In this scene Dane meets Keenan for the first time.

This story may have gay erotic scenes, strong social issues addressed and mature language. If those things offend now is the time to move onto another Tuesday Tales blog. Thanks for stopping by!



The only person I saw was on the other side, running at full speed, his upper body bare to the sun. He thundered across the bridge, his sandals in one hand and shirt in the other. I danced back out of his way, bumping into the signpost.

“Tell me they haven’t started serving yet,” he panted as he neared. His voice was deep and rich with a subtle British accent. It was quite pleasing, and I smiled despite myself at the horrible scowl on his face. When he returned the smile, I grabbed tight to the sign post behind me. He was incredibly handsome with thick black hair, a rather long but proud nose that looked perfect on him, and a forehead that was higher than most. His eyes were darkest brown and his skin the shade of a roasted cashew. Around his thick neck was a necklace with a crescent moon and star dangling from the gold chain. “Bloody hell, they have started serving, haven’t they? Damn Kurt is always late to relieve me.” He slid his feet into his sandals as he spoke.

“About ten minutes ago.”

“Well, won’t be the first time I’ve been late to the kitchen. Won’t be the last either. You a lodger?” He pulled his shirt on and then held out a large hand. I gently placed mine into his, my palm a little sticky but he didn’t seem to mind. “Foods up that way,” he jerked his head over his shoulder. “Keenan Novak. Lifeguard by day, celery chopper by night.”

His joke kind of hung there in the air until I snorted in a loud, piggish way that made my ears burn.

“Yeah, I just uh…was walking to build up my appetite.”

His teeth flashed white. My fingers gripped the sturdy old wooden pole tighter. God but he was the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen. Tall, lean, dark, and handsome. He dropped my hand after a long shake, his gaze holding mine amiably.

“Place is a bit dingy, but they do put out some good food. Better get in there before they come looking for me.”

I didn’t want him to leave. I’d never spoken to a man quite like him before. He was beautiful and foreign and filled with the wonders of the world that I had only dreamed of. “Are you British?”

Wow, Dane, that was stellar. Maybe you could ask him if he breathes air next. Moron.

“What gave me away? Was it my Union Jack socks?”

I glanced down at his bare toes wiggling around in his battered sandals.

“You’re not wearing socks,” I pointed out as heat rose up my neck.

Keenan winked at me, his lips twitching with mirth.



Copyright 2018 ©by V.L. Locey & RJ Scott

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.



6 comments:

Susanne Matthews said...

Loved it, especially the crack about the socks.

LeeAnn said...

😉

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Great job illustrating one as self conscious and the other as joking and outgoing. They are interesting together.

Jean Joachim Books said...

Great first encounter. I love the wonder in Dane and the descriptions!

Tricia said...

I love their banter. And I love Dane’s quick wit and Keenan’s awkwardness. Great job!

Trisha Faye said...

"skin the shade of a roasted cashew"...You always have the BEST descriptive phrases!