Wednesday, March 28, 2018

A Hat Trick of Questions #3






Since I had a few days between books I finally have time to answer another three questions from the members of my readers group! I love doing these hat trick posts and hope you all enjoy them as well. So, let’s get right to this month’s trio of questions!


Do you have any pre-or post-writing rituals?

This could be a two-part sort of question for me when discussing the pre-writing rituals. Since I hardly plot, my pre-writing rituals are slim. I do jot down a fairly detailed character bio for each leading man and set up a playlist for my storyteller, to get a better feel for him and his personality and musical tastes. I do like to have my blurb and cover art done before I begin writing, so I suppose that could be part of the pre-writing ritual.

When I’m ready to write I’ll generally just flop down in my chair, bottle of water or coffee close by, open that Word document, and start writing. It’s a very organic experience for me.

As for the post-writing ritual, when I type “The End” on a book I leap out of my chair and engage in a funky author celebration dance.



How often does what you plan for a story conflict with the characters in a story?

Being an organic writer aka pantser, what I have planned for a story is never known to me beforehand, save for a few key points that I might want to touch on. If it’s the last book in a series, then I have to be a little stricter with making sure I wrap up any loose ends, but other than that, my characters have permission to take the story where they feel it needs to be.


What music do you listen to while writing - if you do, please let us have a sneak on that.

Generally, I don’t listen to music while I write as I find the lyrics too distracting. Same for TV’s being on or someone talking to me. I’m one of those grumpy authors who crawl into a cave and pull a rock in front of the entrance. That being said… since I saw Call Me by Your Name, I have been playing the soundtrack on a steady loop. And yes, even while I’m writing now. I still have to stop and listen to Sufjan singing when his songs come on, but other than that I’m finding the music highly motivational and not too disturbing.


No comments: