Monday, October 2, 2017

Tuesday Tales - Chain




It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have a snippet from a new MM hockey romance book, Lost in Indigo. In this excerpt, Mat shows off his bear imitation but Indigo seems impervious to the snapping and snarling.

Our word prompt today is “Chain”.

This story may have gay erotic scenes, strong social issues addressed and mature language. If those things offend now is the time to move onto another Tuesday Tales blog. Thanks for stopping by!




“Who is driving?” I snapped, arms folded over my “Ride the Surge” t-shirt.

They all looked at each other as if they were leery of crawling into the cart with an angry golden bear.

“I’ll drive you up.” Indigo skipped around the back of the cart, tossed my bags into the back, then planted his ass behind the wheel, an impish smile playing on those rouged lips.

“Does that grumbly grizzly yanking on his chain act always work on people?”

“Not always.” Apparently Indigo Neu wasn’t scared of the big bad bruin. I wasn’t sure if that was good or bad. “Usually not.” I grimaced as I tried to find a comfortable way to sit in the tiny cart. My legs were too long to stretch them out.

“We’ll be at the house soon.” Indigo slowed a bit, following the sharp curve with care. When we rounded the bend, my house stood before me, welcoming me.

“Wish I had a dog,” I mumbled as I wriggled around. My leg was paining me terribly now, that hit on the bumper flaring things up, I assumed. 

“Yeah? I’ve always wanted a bird. A pretty one the color of watermelon that would dance and say dirty things.”

I looked over at my driver. His profile was appealing. My whole leg hurt now, not just from the knee down. Even my toes were curled in protest.

“A watermelon bird?” Indigo nodded then gave me a quirky little inclination of his head as we rolled into the shade. Trees swayed in the strong wind, the rustling of the thick canopy music to my ears. 

“Christ, my damn leg hurts.”

“Sorry. I’m going as slow as I can.”

“No, it’s not you.”

We crawled to the front porch, the golf cart barely moving now. I groaned in misery viewing that ugly wheelchair ramp sprawled over the five steps on the side of the porch.

The cart rolled to a stop. “Just sit there and let me run inside to get the wheel—”

“I don’t need that chair.” I reached behind me, found the crutches, and got to my feet. I clumped up over the new boards, glaring at them and mumbling. “Fucking played half a period three years ago with a broken rib. Had my fingers busted from a slash and played. Had to pull out my own teeth a time or two. Never had no chair for any of that.”

Indigo appeared at my side, whistling a tune that tickled some old memory. I threw him a look as he walked at my pace, my bag over his lean shoulder, his hat riding at a jaunty angle.

“One time I took a header over the handlebars of my bike and tore all the skin off my chin.” He bounced around in front of me, tipped his head up, and showed me a delicate patch of pale skin under his chin. A few wispy whiskers coated his chin and jaw line. When he lowered his head, his dark eyes glittered with good humor. Did he not get that I was trying to be miserable?





Copyright 2017 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.






7 comments:

LeeAnn said...

He's like a puppy trying to make his grouchy owner laugh..lol love it. Love the parrot idea by the way.

Susanne Matthews said...

Why is it every boy who takes a header off his bike rips open his chin? Both my sons did that, the eldest at least three times. Great scene. Love the last line and the watermelon bird. Great job!
!

Jean Joachim Books said...

What a great character is Indigo! I love his positive attitude vs. Mr. Grumpy. Terrific scene.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Indigo is delightful, and I adore his shenanigans.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks you all so much!

Tricia said...

I adore Indigo! The way he just sort of bounces around him to cheer him up. Something tells me that it's working. Great job!

Jillian said...

I love how they interrelate and how Indigo tries to cheer him up by comparing accidents. Great story so far!