Friday, September 29, 2017

Sci-Fi Goodness Book Review - Slow Decay (A Torchwood Novel) by Andy Lane









A pretty entertaining read! Pills that make you lose weight but secretly contain… well, I don’t want to spoil but this is Torchwood so you can use your imagination. And no, it’s not an Adipose. This would have been a great, gory episode. Much darker than the Dr. Who story with the same premise. 

The story moved well and the characterizations were okay. I’d have liked some Janto romancing bits but I suspect this was set before “Cyberwoman” so Jack and Ianto weren’t a hot item yet. Truthfully, Ianto was barely touched upon, which was disappointing for me. Jack was a little over the top (that is possible) but Owen and Tosh were done reasonably well.

Fans of Gwen will especially enjoy this one as it was quite heavy on Gwen and her relationship issues with Rhys. To be honest, it’s wearing a bit thin with me reading about Gwen, Rhys, and some other man or woman making them yearn for more than they have at home.

Then again, I disliked Gwen from the moment she cheated on Rhys on the show, and every book that I read that shows her drooling over Jack or taking up with another man does nothing to win me back to her side. I’m not sure if this is a male author thing but as a female romance author I can tell the gents who wrote these books that a cheating heroine isn’t a big draw.

Okay, I’m off my Gwen rant. Overall this was a snappy read just oozing with sci-fi/Torchwood goodness.


Solid 3.5 out of 5. 

No comments: