Monday, February 12, 2018

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt




It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have a snippet from Overtime which is book #4 in the Cayuga Cougars series. In today’s snippet our three men, and Mat’s mother, are out celebrating Mateo’s birthday.

This week is our picture prompt and all snippets must be 300 words or thereabouts.

This story may have gay erotic scenes, strong social issues addressed and mature language. If those things offend now is the time to move onto another Tuesday Tales blog. Thanks for stopping by!



The restaurant Noah had chosen was a family-style sort, because that was pretty much all there was in Varick, New York. The food was good, classic American fare. I had meatloaf and mashed potatoes, Mat and his mother had fried chicken, and Noah had ordered a Chef Salad and then spent most of the meal picking out bits of stuff he didn’t like.

“Why shredded carrots?” Noah complained as he lifted a thin strip of carrot out of his huge bowl of greens with his fork then dropped it into the pile of carrot strips on his napkin.

“You could just eat them,” Mat pointed out, sitting back, and sipping coffee as we waited for dessert to come. Noah, with his need to pick carrots, was still working on his meal when the cake, a round one with pink flowers, candles, and icing, was placed in the middle of the table. Mat glanced at the waiter.

“Sorry, we thought the name was Maria. You’re not a Maria, are you?” the server said, his face as pink as the sugary flowers on Mat’s cake.

“Nope, I’m a Mateo, but it’s all good,” Mat smiled warmly at the flustered young man. “I can totally eat pink frosting.”

“I hate carrots,” Noah grumbled and continued carrot hunting.

“My sister used to tell me that carrots give you good eyesight because you never see rabbits wearing glasses,” I interjected then lifted my hot coffee and took a wary sip.

“What do your parents do for a living, Sander?” Mrs. Castillo asked, stirring some Splenda into her black coffee.

A deadly veil of silence dropped over the birthday table. Mat and Noah both stopped doing what they’d been doing. They knew all about my past, the horrors with Wade, and of course the prison time he was serving. How could they not? They’d witnessed me freaking out that night, flailing and screaming about Wade. They knew it all. They were the only ones who did aside from Dan Arou. 







Copyright 2018 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.



7 comments:

Susanne Matthews said...

Love it. My husband picks out the bits out veggies he doesn't like from his salad, too. My sister purposely cuts them as small as she can and he still manages to ferret out each sliver of pepper, radish, onion, cauliflower, or broccoli he can find. He eats the carrots, but always has a tiny pile of colorful veggies on his side plate. Great post. And the pink birthday cake ices it.

Jean Joachim Books said...

Great description of a picky eater. Love the laugh about the cake, and then the suspense as we wonder what exactly is going on. Great snippet. Will we find out about his parents? I hope so.

Tricia said...

Omg...What happened with Wade? I so need to know. I really can't wait until this one is out! And I love Noah's constant grumbling about the carrots. Great job!

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Oh dear, this is a difficult moment for him. You handled the scene so well, with the food and celebratory cake, to bring us to the moment. I hope he can handle it well.

Cathy Brockman said...

Hmmm I'd like to know what Happened LOL!! fun post though I loved Noah picking at his carrots

Jillian said...

Love all the carrot focused conversation and imagery. Well done.

Trisha Faye said...

Perfect snippet! Great details - especially about the picking through the salad. And then the deaf silence that I could hear through the computer screen. Excellent!