Monday, August 14, 2017

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt




It’s time for Tuesday Tales!



Welcome back! This week is our picture prompt week and all posts must be 300 words or under and reflect the chosen image. Today we have a snippet from Coach’s Challenge, Cayuga Cougars #3, which gives us a peek at Dad and son time with Victor and Jack.

Thanks so much for dropping by!




Jack and I slid down a small incline, surrounded by bushes and trees that carried red and yellow leaves already. Heavy rain early in the month had left a huge puddle that my son – hell any kid – simply couldn’t resist. He found a stick – naturally – and started poking at the water. I dropped my ass to a rock jutting out of the incline and watched him investigate the world. He was such a happy kid. Bouncy, smart, full of piss and vinegar. And not once had his mother belted him for acting up or told him he was an accident. I mean, yeah, he wasn’t a planned child but he was the fucking earth and stars to me. Dan was my moon.
            “Dad, a squirrel!” he called. I lifted my gaze from the ripples his stick had made on the puddle. “A squirrel!” Jack ran at the tree the gray squirrel was barking at us from.
            “Don’t run with that stick,” I reminded him. He did anyway.
            “Dad,” he called again, his round cheeks as red as his hair which needed cut. “I kiss that squirrel!”
            I glanced up into the canopy. “Sorry buddy, you can’t kiss that squirrel. He’s too far up in that tree. And in all honestly, kissing squirrels probably isn’t a good thing to do.”
            He stared up at the squirrel who was chattering up a storm, his plush tail flicking in irritation. Probably Mr. Squirrel was pissed about not being able to get to the acorns lying under Jack’s little sneakers.
            “Dad, you kiss that squirrel?” Jack asked, pointing into the swaying yellow leaves with his stick.
            “Nope, I don’t kiss squirrels.”
He turned from the tree and folded his arms over his chest. “You kiss girls?”
            “Sometimes,” I replied, leaning up to rest my elbows on the ratty holes in the denim covering my knees.
            “You kiss boys.” That wasn’t a question, it was as statement. I nodded. “Like Papa?”
            “Yep, I kiss Papa.”
            “But no squirrels?”
            “No squirrels.”



Copyright 2017 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.




5 comments:

Susanne Matthews said...

Loved it. I could picture the scene and the last bit of dialogue made me laugh out loud.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for stopping by, Susanne!

Cathy Brockman said...

That's so cute. Jack is as fun as his dad lol

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks Cat!

Trisha Faye said...

What a fun scene! Kissing squirrels - I never could have imagined this dialogue. It was perfect. I loved it.