Friday, April 14, 2017

Fandom Friday Review - Marvel's Iron Fist




I’ve been ripping through my Netflix binge shows over the past month! I’m hoping to do a review for all three because I consider myself a fan of them all, so look for those to follow the next few weeks. This week I’ll kick off the binging bonanza with my thoughts on Marvel’s "Iron Fist."




First, let me say that I’m a massive fan of all the Netflix Marvel universe shows so far. Even “Iron Fist”, which I felt was the weakest of the four who will go on to star in “The Defenders” was a solid show. It just took F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get to the good bits. And that was truly its biggest flaw in my eyes. When it takes a show seven or eight episodes to lure you in, there’s a good chance that show is going to pull in some complaints.

I’ve heard others bitterly complaining about the fight scenes, and how Finn Jones appeared to not know anything about martial arts. I’ve also read that he was hired late and had little prep time. Since I know next to nothing about realistic martial arts battles, I can’t really comment on this. I do know character development though, and that’s where this show really shines.

We got a wonderful treat being able to see Danny Rand go from naïve and virginal to seasoned and not virginal. You know me. I love romance and sexy times! The relationships he had with his supporting characters were dramatic and well-acted. Their problems felt realistic. I also really enjoyed his romance with Jessica Henwick (Colleen Wing) as it progressed. And YAY! for having everyone’s favorite night nurse, Rosario Dawson, as Claire Temple present.

I’m hoping that as we jump into “The Defenders” in August, we’ll see that Danny’s rather laid back personality will provide a nice, light counter to his three costar’s characters. I mean, I like dark and angsty, but with Matt, Jess, and Luke all in the same room, the dark and angsty might suffocate a person. Hopefully they can play up that aspect for Danny, otherwise I fear he could get lost with that trio of powerfully strong personalities.


On a scale from 0-5 with 5 being the highest, I’d give “Iron Fist” a 3.75. Despite it being terribly slow out of the gate, it does get stronger as it goes along. It’s definitely worth the watch for any Marvel fan. 



~~*~~



If you're interested, here are the links to my fan fiction blog and AO3 page:

No comments: