Monday, March 20, 2017

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt




It`s time for Tuesday Tales.




 Welcome back! This week is our picture prompt week and all posts must be 300 words or under and reflect the chosen image. In this snippet from Flow, Venom #5, we’ll get a wee peek at the coaching staff having a meeting – and some of Olaf’s coffee - before morning skate. This excerpt is from Alice - the goalie coach's - point of view.

It’s super important to me to show that these women do not simply sit around talking about men. They have jobs. Men are shuffled to the back burner when it’s time to talk hockey. I hope you enjoy this little peek into a coach's life! 

Thanks for stopping by!




 “She’s had two MCL sprains in the past two years. I worry if she gets a direct hit to the knee or turns the wrong way that she’s going to do more than sprain it next time.” Rory stood up and walked to the pot to pour sugar into her coffee, a sure sign that it was right on the other side of industrial strength. Olaf sat in a chair next to Dot, sipping from her cup, and nodding along as the conversation flowed from one aspect of Venom hockey to another.
“I’ll do my best with her but I doubt she’ll take kindly to having her TOI tinkered with unless she’s unable to stand on the damn thing. You know hockey players," Dot commented.
We all bobbed our heads and said “Uh-huh” in tandem. We should know them. We were them. I’d have acted the same way as Helen. Hell, I had a time or two. Back in my college days I played with a hip flexor injury through the end of the season. Never told anyone until the day I kicked out to block a shot and the pain in my hip had me rolling around my crease in agony. I blocked that shot though and we moved onto the next round of the NCAA playoffs.
“Explain to her that we’re only looking to keep her on the ice as much as we can by taking her off. I know that sounds wonky but it’s how it works and she knows that, especially if she’s nursed a sprained knee a few times in the past. If she gets belligerent, I’ll pull her aside,” Jane said.
Dot waved a hand in the air. 
Olaf burped. “Am sorry. Too much garlic on oatmeals.”
“Helen Parat would never act belligerently to any coach on this – did you say garlic on your oatmeal?” Dot asked Olaf. The Russian nodded then burped again.
“Garlic is good for making sex drives big like bear. I eat on oatmeal and corn flakes. Keeps new boyfriend happy.”
“New boyfriend?” Jane enquired. “What happened to the old one?” Olaf coughed something Russian into her coffee mug. “English translation?”

                                                                       


Copyright 2017 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.








4 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

Great first laugh of the day!! I love the way you have their conversation -- so real, each character contributing, even if it's just a few words. So realistic. Love the Venom.

Susanne Matthews said...

Great tease. Since two of my three kids were into sports--basketball, not hockey, I know how stubborn they can be. As the saying around here went, if you're hurt, you can still play. If you're injured, you get benched. Don't get injured. Angie, who still plays b-ball and is now in her early 40s, fell on an opponent's foot while scoring the winning three. She badly sprained her left ankle and twisted her right knee, and while she still can't walk right after almost two weeks, is hoping to get back into the game to finish the season. Stubborn people athletes.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Cute snippet! Olaf is a hoot.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all for stopping by! =)