Monday, January 30, 2017

Tuesday Tales - Track




It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



 Welcome back! “Track” is our word today. I’m starting a new book this week which is a collaboration with another M/M author and huge hockey fan, Rj Scott. We’re both quite excited to be working on this series of M/M hockey romances. It should be a fun, sexy, and romantic group of books and I cannot wait to share some snippets with you!

In this excerpt, we get to meet my character, Tennant Rowe, a young, talented forward who has just discovered that his contract has been picked up in a trade. The trade uproots him from Dallas, TX and plunks him down in Harrisburg, PA. There he meets up once again with Coach Jared Madsen and the attraction between player and defensive coach is instantaneous.

This story will have same-sex moments, strong social issues addressed, and crude language, these are hockey players after all. If those things offend now is the time to move onto another Tuesday Tales blog. Thanks for stopping by!




Training camp for veterans started today. The rookies on the team had been required to show up yesterday. Today would be all about medicals, fitness testing, and media day. The press would be all over me like chocolate on a Ring Ding. Which was kind of cool. It probably would feel good to get some of that spotlight that used to always shine on Tate. Hell, even growing up I was always hearing “Oh, your Brady/Jamie’s little brother! I hope you’re half the student/player he/they are!” from teachers and coaches. This was my time now and I was going to bask in the limelight until I was burnt.

A quick shower and I was off to the training facility out in Rutherford, about twenty minutes from my condo. Glass Animals supplied the ride to work music this morning. Pulling into the parking lot of the Capital Ice Complex rink and seeing press vans scattered around filled me with nervous excitement. I slipped inside without notice, the crush of reporters only getting a peek at me when I jogged down a flight of steps to check out the ice. I closed my eyes, inhaled the smell of hockey into my lungs and smiled. There was nothing like it. The cold air, the sound of blade on ice, the grunts and shouts, the impact of man into glass and board, and the flash of the goal light. It was as good as sex. The ice looked perfect. Pity we veterans wouldn’t be on it until tomorrow.

“Tennant! Hey, welcome to Harrisburg! What do you think you’ll bring to the team?” I looked over the shoulder of my brand new Railers hoodie at the lean guy hustling down the cement stairs. He had wild brown hair and big googly eyes. He held his hand out, shook, and then glanced at the cell phone in his hand. “Bob Riggs. I run an online site that deals exclusively with ice hockey in the Harrisburg area. From the pros to peewee.”

“Nice. Feel free to tape.” I leaned against the glass, folded my arms over my chest, and began answering questions. Within five minutes there were probably twenty people gathered around me at ice level. I did my best to answer every question they threw at me. I told them how excited I was to be here, how I hoped I could contribute to the team and the city in a positive way, and how cool it was that professional hockey was expanding. It was an impromptu kind of meet-and-greet, my favorite kind. I related much better in this kind of setting as opposed to the strictly regulated media day things the teams always set up. Those always felt so staged and stiff. I was about to reply to a question from a burly dude in a track suit who possessed no hair on his head but had massive amounts of it growing out of his ears when someone pounded on the glass behind me.







Copyright 2017 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.







8 comments:

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Great start to your story, and I love his name.

Susanne Matthews said...

Love the description of the guy in the joggers. Great beginning. Looking forward to more.

Davee Jones said...

exciting new story, it's always interesting to see how a person lives up to the expectations from star siblings or even parents.

Karen Cino said...

Great set up to your story. Being a hockey fan I can relate to this. Nicely done.

Cathy Brockman said...

Looks like another amazing story!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all so much!

Jean Joachim said...

Great beginning of a new story!! Love this guy and his observations. Looking forward to where this is going.

Trisha Faye said...

I'm with the others - a great start to a new story. Unique way to use the word prompt. Kudos.