Monday, December 12, 2016

Tuesday Tales - Bar






It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



 Welcome back! This week we have another excerpt from my novel, Breakout, which is book #2 in my upcoming Brighton Wood Blades M/M hockey series. This book introduces us to Todd Oleksuk, a defenseman on the Blades who is still deeply closeted, and Lee Odette, a drag queen who will capture and free the heart of Mr. Oleksuk.

Our snippet today takes us back to Todd’s point of view. Todd has just come out of the dressing room after a game. This has been Lee's first hockey game and he's now meeting Todd’s sons and ex-wife for the first time.

Since this is an M/M romance, so may be some same-sex frolicking taking place as well as mature language. If that offends, now is the time to skedaddle along to another Tuesday Tales offering.
Our word prompt for this week is “Bar”.




Lee was rolling along, his fingers tight around my wrist, his goal now in sight. I peeked around Lee. Mary and the boys were talking to someone selling 50-50 chances for the local animal shelter. When my ex spotted us, her eyes rounded and her mouth fell open just a bit.
“Dad!” the boys shouted and took a few steps then stalled. Lee and I skidded to a halt beside my sons, his grip on my wrist still very evident.
“Hey guys, Mary.” I smiled at my sons and then at my ex. She was staring up at Lee in something that looked like amazement. “This is my friend, Lee. Lee, my ex-wife Mary and my sons Arin and Daniel.”
“Oh, my God, I am so happy to meet you!” Mary said. Lee, being Lee, wrapped my ex-wife in a big hug and bounced them both up and down a few times. Mary hugged him tightly. I stood there, hands on my son’s shoulders, absolutely stunned.
“You are just too adorable!” Lee exclaimed after the hug ended. “I love that hat. I have one just like it only in lilac.”
Mary held onto Lee, her arm around his waist, but her attention solely on me. “Todd, your friend is so handsome.” Lee pish-poshed the woman leaning into his side as if they were old friend. “Boys, this is Lee. He and your dad are friends.”
“Hey,” Arin muttered. Danny just gawked at the tall man giggling with his mother. They had no clue what to make of Lee. I ruffled their dark heads, and asked if they wanted something to eat. They nodded, of course.
“Let me take them!” Lee offered, wiggling away from Mary. “I brought all kinds of pin money to spend on my beau’s boys.”
The boys looked up at me. Truthfully, I didn’t know whether to shit or wind my watch as the saying goes. Mary, always the gracious one, spoke up to break the awkward moment.
“That would be wonderful. Boys, you can go with Lee to the snack bar and then come back to our seats,” she said, smiling affectionately at the boys then up at Lee.
“Oh, this is going to be fun. I want to buy one of those flags with the chicken on it and maybe a foam finger. I hear that foam fingers are the way a true fan is distinguished from the lower classes of fans. Your daddy tells me that you boys are quite the hockey players. I once played softball for an inning. That was the extent of my athletic endeavors although I did win a game of checkers once.”
Lee led them off, his hands on their backs, chattering away like a magpie until the threesome rounded a corner and disappeared. My ex-wife tugged on my arm, hard. I pulled my worried sight from where I had lost sight of the boys. Mary was grinning like a jack-o-lantern.
“He is precious,” she said and then decided to hug me and bounce up and down as she did with Lee.



Copyright 2016 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.




8 comments:

Susanne Matthews said...

Love the expression even though I'd never heard it. Great scene!

Cathy Brockman said...

Cute excerpt. I love kids Lee sounds fun

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

I adore Mary's reaction. Wonderful scene.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all. It was super important to me to have Todd's ex-wife be open and happy about him and Lee. Glad it works!

Trisha Faye said...

Great scene! That wasn't the reaction I expected from Mary. I was glad to see it. Amd yes, loved your unusual phrase - such fun!

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks Trisha! I'm just loving this story. Glad everyone seems to be enjoying it!

Jillian said...

love how accepting his former wife is. Wondering how the kids will process things.

V.L. Locey said...

We'll be touching on how the boys process things very soon.