Monday, November 7, 2016

Tuesday Tales - Band



It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



 Welcome back! I missed everyone last week but since I had nothing written for the book (NaNo started on 11/1) I couldn’t take part but now I can!

This week we have an excerpt from my NaNoWriMo novel, Breakout, which is book #2 in my upcoming Brighton Wood Blades M/M hockey series. This book introduces us to Todd Oleksuk, a defenseman on the Blades who is still deeply closeted, and Lee Odette, a drag queen who can hopefully capture and free the heart of Mr. Oleksuk. Our snippet today shows us when our two leading men meet and is in Lee’s POV. We also get to meet Lee's best friend and personal assistant, Codack Pointmeré

Since this is an M/M romance, so there may be some same-sex frolicking taking place as well as mature language. If that offends, now is the time to skedaddle along to another Tuesday Tales offering.

Our word prompt for this week is “Band”.




 “I was chatting with Mah-Mac a few days ago and mentioned that I feared I’d be inundated with college males in stilettos.” A tall young man of African-American descent tripped over his feet and fell face first in front of me. Laughter rang out in the Donald B. Crampton Auditorium.

“So now we can add mystical reader of the future to your resume?” She handed me a bottle of cold water which I took then checked the label on the sly. “It’s the kind you like.”

I pursed my lips as I cracked the lid open. “Just checking pudding.” The clear, cold water slipping down my throat felt wonderful. We’d arrived in Brighton Wood a few hours earlier than anticipated, and good thing because this stage was in no way ready for LeeLa Blue, or the young man tottering around in heels with water balloons pinned to his shirt. “This backwater town many not have had my preferred brand.”

“You are one of the pickiest queens I have ever met,” Codack said.

“It’s an occupational hazard,” I parried as we lingered in the wings, enjoying the show. “Oh, look at this one. Now that’s good,” I said, pointing at the young woman striding onto stage in a dark suit and Fedora. “We don’t see enough of the classic crooners. Did I tell you Jules and Cab said they were going to try to sneak down and attend? Well, Jules is for sure coming to perform, but you know Cab. Always the secretive one.”

Whoever was working the sound system cued up Frank Sinatra’s “Luck be a Lady Tonight” and the girl on stage started lip-syncing to the classic. The big band sound instantly helped to soothe my prickled nerves.

“They’re predicting a sold-out show. Pity none of the other pros could make it,” Codack commented. I nodded and sipped, enjoying the way the young woman was working the stage. She had presence. And had practiced. Which was more than one could say for most of the entrants. But, who was I to pick nits? If people came out, coughed up cash to aid the Q Center here on campus, and learned a thing or perhaps two about the gay community my donated time had been well spent. “Do you want me to run to the commissary and buy some lunch?”

“That would be wonderful. Find me something with chicken, roasted and not deep-fried, if they serve that kind of food on campus. Oh, and a salad with— “

“Two cups of Russian dressing on the side. I am aware.”

“Kiss, kiss,” I purred. Codack shook her head, gave me a smile, and then disappeared into the curtains. Finding a seat in front sounded good. I took about ten steps onto the stage and froze when my eyes fell upon a stunning man walking down the middle aisle. Tall, dark, neatly trimmed beard, and wearing flannel and denim. Be still my heart!

He threw a perfunctory glance up and his blue eyes widened. I cursed myself for not dressing better. I had been in a snit about a new wig I had ordered that had ended up being shipped to Fuck-Me-Up-The-Ass, Korea, or some such place. After getting more than a little salty with the wig company on the phone, I had just thrown on a pair of leggings and an oversized sweater because I had felt fat, and little black flats for traveling comfort. My hair was a lifeless mess of straight yellow blech. 

My gods, he looks like a bearded Richard Armitage. 

I vowed never to leave my home without at least doing something with my hair and wearing anything other than leggings.

His sultry blue eyes roamed over me, stopping just a tad too long to enjoy the bulge in the front of my blue leggings. Okay, so maybe leggings weren’t a totally bad call. He and a blond twink fell into conversation.

I locked gazes with the man, sending every “I. Want. Your. Dick.” thought I possessed to the beautiful man with the alluring eyes. He appeared to receive the message. I mean, his nostrils flared and his mouth fell open just an inch. Then, he spun on his heel and nearly ran up the aisle. I gave the young blond man in the huge high heels a confused look.

“Oh, that’s just Todd. He’s cool, just a little shy. He plays on my hockey team,” the pretty lad explained. 




Copyright 2016 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales authors.




6 comments:

Susanne Matthews said...

Love the conversation. Good luck with this.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Great excerpt!

Jean Joachim said...

Love the description of the encounter. Steamy. And how did you know I adore Richard Armitage? These characters are so real. Looking forward to more.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you Jean and Flossie! Doesn't everyone adore Richard Armitage?? =D

Jillian said...

I am going to love this tale. I can tell. What a great beginning and who doesn't love a drag queen?

Trisha Faye said...

LOVE your new story! Great characters and your scenes are always so realistic that it's like I'm there peeking in on a real life encounter.