Thursday, November 17, 2016

Escapism, Time Agents, and Romantic Stories




Over the past few days I’ve found myself mysteriously drawn to writing fan fiction. Now that in and of itself is nothing new. I got my start writing Marvel Universe fan fiction. I’ve penned stories about Dragon Age and Assassin’s Creed, two game worlds that I adore. So, this plunge into the world of Torchwood, a fandom that I am relatively new to but love more than I can say, seems to have come out of nowhere. I’d stopped writing fan fiction many months ago due to time constraints. I needed to devote my time to my books and so, sadly, I left fan fiction behind.

But after the election results came in, I sat down after losing myself in reruns of the show on Netflix, and the words for a new fan fiction began flowing onto paper. I’ve spent the last couple mornings writing these little vignettes, laughing and sighing dreamily more than I thought possible given the upheaval that has taken over this country. I tried to figure out why, when I was right in the middle of NaNoWriMo my muse decided to lead us back to fan fiction. As I wrote and wrote and wrote about the gang from Cardiff, it finally came to me : I was writing this on the side as an escape from the rather dark future many of us are now facing.

Losing myself in aliens, time agents, and amazing characters is my way of coping. Yes, my hockey books are that too, but they deal with deeper issues usually, and I love that they do. But maybe right now I also need pure escapism. And what better way to do that then spend time in the same world that Dr. Who hangs out in? So, instead of trying to squash this desire to write about Captain Jack and Ianto, I’m going to embrace the living hell out of it! I've set up a private blog for my FF work. It's nothing fancy but it's a place to post my stories. I have never been ashamed to say that I write fan fiction and I'm not going to start now. If anyone is interested in reading along, contact me for a link. Right now I'm posting Torchwood but in the future I'll be revamping an old Wolverine story. 

I have no idea how long this need to write these little vignettes will last or where the story is going. And that’s okay. I’m finding some much-needed respite in the Torchwood Tower and for that, I am eternally grateful to the shows creator and the incredible actors who portrayed those unforgettable characters. I am also thankful for having my writing - both original and fan fiction - to help give me a place to go to get away, even for just a little while.





If you've been struggling with the world after the election, how have you been coping? Or are you still trying to discover a way to guide you through the sadness and madness? I would love to hear from you down in the comments section. Maybe we can help each other work through the fear that grips many a heart. 



3 comments:

Cathy Brockman said...

I have to admit that lately, I have been watching more TV with the Hubby He found some Sci-Fi series from Australia that are great and of course i write and lose myself in my own funny, sexy characters, when not doing that I read others books to escape into. Someday I'll have to face the real world, for now ill just hide in fictional worlds.

Misty Harvey said...

I've been spending far too much time buried in Murder, She Wrote on Netflix. I've let my Nano slip further and further behind and told myself I'd climb back into reality eventually. After sliding ten thousand words behind I talked with the hubby man about how I wanted to finish works I already had going instead of creating yet another first draft. So that is where I'm at today, I'm focusing on finishing something. Oh, I haven't given up on my show. I'll be settling in to watch that here in a few. Haha

V.L. Locey said...

Seems many of us are slipping off into fictional worlds more than before. I think that anything that helps us cope and isn't harming anyone is a good thing.