Monday, July 18, 2016

A Hat Trick of Questions #1





People are always asking author's questions and we love it! Nothing shows us that you enjoyed our book like questions about it, our process, development, or any other query a reader might have. Well, reviews also show your love but I know that you're all reading and reviewing, right?

I thought it would be fun to share a trio of questions that I've been asked recently then give you my replies. Please feel free to shoot me any questions you might have that I don't cover here, or in future Q&A posts. I adore interacting with my readers!



Question: Why don't all of your books end with a wedding?

This is a really common question that I get asked all the time. My answer is that I don't feel that marriage is the end all and be all for every couple on earth. I've been happily married for over 25 years, and I have great respect for the institution of marriage. That being said, it is not for everyone. Many couples live long and extremely happy lives without legal vows and government licenses. Sometimes my couples marry (Victor and Dan) and sometimes they don't even if they have a child together (Isabelle and Philip) because I like to have the ending reflect who the couple are and where they're at when the book/series ends.

Also, wedding vows do not always equate to a happy ending. Ask the millions of divorced people out there and I suspect they'll back me up. So, I do strive to give my readers at least a happy for now. If a wedding is the right course for a couple, then I'll be there throwing rice with the rest of the guests. But if it's not, I'm not going to add the vows just to fit into a romance novel Jell-O mold of conformity.


Question: Why don't you write in third person with alternating POV? I like that best.

I get this one a lot. I know some readers dislike first person. Sorry about that, truly I am, but writing in third feels awkward to me. I actually started out writing in third, way back in the day when I was doing Marvel fan fiction. It always felt odd and stilted but that was how everyone else was doing it so...

Then I tried first person and it clicked perfectly. Getting into the mind of the storyteller suits me. This is why I think I can only work on one book at a time. When I'm Victor Kalinski, I am totally Victor. I just can't be Vic in the morning and then someone else in the afternoon. I have to submerse myself totally in that character.

So yes, I much prefer first person, one point of view. I am branching out a bit with my upcoming LGBT hockey series, The Brighton Wood Blades, and writing those in first person alternating views. Why? Well, because my muse wanted to do this series that way and who am I to argue with her? Does that mean I'll someday do a book in third person? It is highly unlikely.



Question: Why are you moving to all LGBT books after the Venom series ends?

 Because over the years I have discovered that LGBT romance is where I belong. When I first began writing, I never knew there was such a thing as M/M romance, so any romance that I wrote was M/F. I find it interesting now when I think back because reader's way back in my fan fiction days always commented on the homoerotic aspect of my work. Little did I know those comments were an indicator of where my true author heart would lead me over time.

I have a special place for M/F romance and I will always be grateful to those books for opening up the door for me. Without the Wildcats and Venom, I would have never found the wonderful world of erotic hockey romance, and the fantastic readers that support us. However, my calling is, and I feel it has been for some time, M/M or LGBT hockey romance. My couples rarely come to me as traditional man/woman pairings anymore. Most are somewhere on the rainbow spectrum and I fully embrace them.

My characters need to have their stories told. They must to be able to express their love in a world filled with bigotry to help combat the darkness. I'm transitioning not only because I am the mother of an openly out and proud bisexual daughter, because that is surely a part of my decision, but because love is love. I am and always have been a vocal ally of the LGBTQIA community. It's my hope that my books may open someone's eyes, or at the very least, show the world that the love between two men or two women is a natural and beautiful thing.