Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Mind of an Author




People tell me that writers have minds unlike the non-writerly folk. Sometimes I think to argue but then something pops into my world that silences me.

As you may or may not know, over the past few years I've been working on trying to live a healthier life. I quit smoking, gave up soda, started eating less and better, and took up yoga and walking. I've managed to whittle off 52 pounds so far! Now that it's warmer I'm going out for walks more. I always take my camera with me on my walks because I'm lucky enough to be able to stroll through Pennsylvania Game Lands, which are some of the most beautiful woodlands I have ever seen.

I will confess to having amazing fictional conversations while I walk. Generally, it's just my dog Maisy and me, so talking to myself in two different voices doesn't get me weird looks aside from the squirrels but who cares what they think? During a walk last week, I happened to glance to the left and saw something lying behind the lone house located at the end of the road that weaves and climbs through the state woods. As soon as I saw this item lying tucked among some skinny saplings, a light bulb went off.  I yanked out my camera and took a snapshot, which I now have in my file for my next Lake Erie shifter book.

Hubby happened to go through the images on the camera a few days later and came upon this picture:



"Is there a reason you took a picture of this?"

"Yep," I replied smugly. "That's going to be a pivotal plot point in one of my shifter books."

"Oh-kay," he murmured while staring at the picture. "Exactly how is this child's ball going to be used in a gay romance about a skunk shifter?"

"Oh, I'm not sure yet.  I'm thinking it's going to be the inspiration for something wonderfully magical that Templeton finds on the grounds of Lupei Manor that will propel him into an adventure of some sort!"

He gave me and the picture an odd look then went off to do afternoon chores.  I thought to ask him what was wrong with that, but then I realized this might be one of those author mind things. *wink*



2 comments:

Cathy Brockman said...

Awesome! I can't wait.

Kelly Erickson said...

That reminds me of several photos I took in Las Vegas. My nephew was helping me out together a slide show of just a few photos (we'd ended up with 800 pics!) And he asked why I took pictures of a doorknob, a chandelier, a carpet, an elevator door,...
"They were interesting when I was drunk." When what I was really thinking was my over the top too rich for his own good villain would have those in his estate. The carpet would hide blood. The elevator would make a good escape route...