Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunday Snippet





Howdy! 


Today I'm sharing a snippet from Finding the Edge, the first book in the Brighton Woods Blades M/M hockey romance series. Our leading men are a retired defenseman, Corbin Hancock, and a young forward, Dance Coldecott. 

For this week's snippet we get to meet Corbin Hancock, the older half of this romantic couple. This book is just flying along so it's going to be a bit jumpy at times and I apologize for any confusion that causes. Generally I write quickly, but this story is one of those that will not let me rest! And I am loving every minute of it.  In this snippet we get a good peek into Corbin's mindset, the people in his life, and how he's feeling about a certain young man named Dance.

This excerpt is hot off the presses and has not been professionally edited. I've done my best to make it as tidy as I could but there may be some misplaced commas or other mistakes. Please be kind about any flubs you may find. When you're done reading today's snippet, skate on over to Cathy Brockman, Misty Harvey and Ellie Mack's blog to see what they've been up to recently. 


~~*~~

           "No, Pauline, it is not okay. What you did is not acceptable in the least. Go change and cash in your tips."
            "Fuck you too." The saucy blonde threw her hair over her shoulder then flung the change in her apron on the bar. The coffee drinkers gave her a wary eyeball as I exchanged coins and ones for a twenty. Pauline then pulled her boyfriend out the door.
            "Jesus H. Christmas tree balls," Lem said after the irate woman had left. "I don't think I have ever been witness to a woman dousing Becky-Sue from the Recorder of Wills office with a scotch and water before."
            "At least Becky-Sue had the good graces not to get all het up with Corbin," Muzzy pointed out as my mother walked behind the bar topping off coffee mugs.
            "I'm sure him offering to pay to dry clean her suit put her to ease. I warned you about hiring that Pauline Prattle. She and her family been nothing but trouble since that youngest boy of theirs clumb up that pine tree and fell out on his head. What was his name, Gloria?" Cole asked and poured a dollop of half-and-half into his coffee.
            "Bertie," Mom replied without a moment's hesitation. "He married the Wilkes gal from over in Potter County. Her family ran that Black Angus farm for years until Pepper Wilkes got his arm caught in the hay tedder. I think the Carson's bought it after Pepper give up farming."
            "I remember Pepper. He liked to sip on whiskey then ride his old Massey Ferguson through the fields without a stitch on," Angus said making the others snicker into their cups.
            "As fascinating as all that information about Pepper Wilkes is, the fact is that we, once again, do not have anyone to wait tables at night," I told the giggly group at the bar. Mom frowned at my temper. My mother was the town marriage and child historian. If you wanted to know who wed whom, how many kids they had, and whom those kids married, just ring up Gloria Hancock.
            "No need to get snippy," Mom chided as she squeezed around me. "I'll come in tonight."
            "Mom," I called after her as she sailed into the kitchen. When she didn't stop I turned to the wall and introduced my head to it.
            "You keep that up and you'll bruise your brain again," Lem pointed out while I bounced my brow off the paneling. "Last time that happened your ma said you didn't recall how to piss standing up for near onto a week."
            Dear God, please find a way to make my mother stop passing along personal information to the patrons.
            I straightened and stopped abusing the wall with my head. "It was only for a couple days. The problem is that my mother will be hustling burgers all night again. She's retired now. She's supposed to be relaxing at home knitting me those awesome slippers."
            "They are some damn fine slippers," Angus said and the six of them all bobbed their ball caps in agreement.
            "Guys, you're missing the point." They fell into a conversation about how incredible Gloria's crocheted slippers were when worn inside hunting boots. I gave up and decided to wash some glasses now that lunch was over. What a fucking day this had been and it was only one in the afternoon. First, my ex-wife calls to bitch about our daughter and her lack of respect for her stepfather. As if I give two twinkling fucks about Bill the insurance salesman and his issues with my little angel. I hoped Lisa was giving it to the uptight cretin Dee had married with both barrels as only a ten year old girl can. Then my new server douses a worker from the courthouse. All because Betty-Lou asked Pauline's moronic boyfriend what time it was since her watch had stopped. I had to imagine the day couldn't get much worse.
            The front door opened, throwing a square of brilliant late August sun across my face. As I squinted into the blinding beam, I heard his voice.
            "Oh for fucks sake," I moaned when Dance ran into my pub shouting at the top of his lungs. I lifted my gaze from the hot soapy water to see the twit rush unto my stage and wave a handful of papers over his head.
            "I got a full roster, I got a full roster, I got a full roster," he chanted in that annoying singsong way eight years did when they were being asshats. The urge to chuck a mug at his stupid head was strong. I would have if not for the witnesses. And that fact that he looked damn cute shaking his firm ass as he crowed about his achievement. I'd never seen a kid who wore clothes with so much personality.




Don't forget to drop by Cathy, Misty and Ellie's blogs-



2 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

Great vivid, evocative, slice of life and introduction to these characters. This is going to be a wonderful story.

Cathy Brockman said...

I love it