Sunday, March 20, 2016

Snippet Sunday





Howdy! 


Today I'm sharing a snippet from Finding the Edge, the first book in the Brighton Woods Blades LGBT hockey romance series. Our leading men are a retired defenseman, Corbin Hancock, and a young forward, Dance Coldecott. 

For this week's snippet we move back to Dance's point of view. This book is just flying along so it's going to be a bit jumpy at times and I apologize for any confusion that causes. Generally I write quickly, but this story is one of those that will not let me rest! And I am loving every minute of it.  In this snippet we get a good peek at how things are progressing relationship-wise between our two leading men. 

This excerpt is hot off the presses and has not been professionally edited. I've done my best to make it as tidy as I could but there may be some misplaced commas or other mistakes. Please be kind about any flubs you may find. When you're done reading today's snippet, skate on over to Cathy Brockman, Misty Harvey and Ellie Mack's blog to see what they've been up to recently. 



~~*~~


           "Dance," he shouted then waved the collapsible fishing poles at the opening. "If one of Lem's cows gets out I'm making you chase the fucker!"
            Knowing he would follow through on the threat, I threw the tackle box to the ground then unfolded myself out of the sidecar. I never even gave him a sideways glance when I stalked past him at the gate. A sound like an amused chuckle met my ear but I ignored it as well as the man who made it. The gate rattled shut behind me. My shoes had not been made for walking around the edge of a pond. They were nice suede boots made for city streets. By the time we arrived at a spot Corbin pronounced as suitable my feet were soaked as were my pant legs up to the knee.
            "Sit down."
            I gave the crooked tree behind us a look."I'd really rather stand."
            "Suit yourself." He bent down, opened the tackle box, found a lure that looked like a frog, and attached it to his pole. I folded my arms over my chest. A sharp smack to my ass sent me into the air with a yelp. "Sorry," Corbin said and tried to flip his fishing rod out to its full length. "I told you to sit down."
            With that, he dropped to his ass and leaned his back against a tree. Rubbing my backside where his pole had hit me, I stabbed him with dark looks. All he did in return was stretch out his legs, cross them at the ankle, and rest his pole over the tip of his black biker boots.
            "Why don't we try opening up the dialog by saying that the next time you send someone an email under my name I'll be on you like ugly on a baboon's ass." The pond was nice, too many bugs, but nice. The red cows were now staring at us. A blackbird with scarlet epaulets landed on the top of a post nearly hidden by brackish pond water and called out a loud Okaleeeeee. "I'll take your silence as meaning you understand." He reeled his lure up and casted again. It hit the water with a soft plop! that startled the black bird. "Now why don't you tell me why a kid who wears a watch that cost more than my mother paid for her house twenty years ago turned white as a ghost when renovations to the rink were mentioned."
            Dropping down into a crouch I watched his frog lure slowly coming back to shore leaving oddly shaped ripples in its wake.
            "It just startled me is all," I lied then flopped down to sit on the damp bank. My hip rested flush against Corbin's thick calf.
            "Uh-huh." Several long moments ticked by. My chin rested on my knees. Corbin must have cast out his lure at least a dozen times as I fought off a couple of persistent flies and tried not to feel the heat of that leg seeping into my hip. "You know that you can talk to me about any kind of shit that's going down in your life, right?"
            My sight darted from the nosy red cows cooling their bellies in the pond to Corbin. His expression sure looked sincere.
            "Yeah, right," I replied and then went back to watching cows skinny-dipping. His exhalation rolled over the low hum of flying insects. A dragonfly zipped by. Corbin's hand settled on my left shoulder. My body tensed. He squeezed, pushing his strong fingers deeply into my flesh. I wet my lips and glanced at the huge hand resting by my neck. Then my sight moved up his arm, over the cheap watch and tattoos in thick black ink, until our gazes locked. I'd never seen so many things in a man's eyes as I did that day. I wanted to take each emotion and extract it, analyze it, place it on a slide and study it under a microscope. Reading the things swimming in his gaze made a hunger rise up inside of me.
            "You and me…shit…it's going to end in heartache I can tell. Damn my soul if I can stop thinking about kissing you." His voice was smoky and hot. His fingertips bit into my shoulder as he tugged me back and to the side. I thought about resisting just to prove something. Something like maybe I didn't want him to touch me or say shit like that. But I did, I really did. God how I wanted it.






Don't forget to drop by Cathy, Misty and Ellie's blogs-



1 comment:

Cathy Brockman said...

I love this story. It sure got hot out there at the end lol