Monday, January 11, 2016

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt



Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have another snippet from Dear Jon. It`s our picture prompt and the excerpt must reflect the image and be under 300 words.  Don`t forget to visit the other talented Tuesday Tales authors. Thanks for stopping by!



            Ross flipped the steaks. I could hear the fire in the brick pit flaring up as well as the sizzle of meat juices. I was sitting on the redwood swing by the pond keeping an eye on Andy as he tried his hand at fishing. We had about an hour before dark, give or take. I took a small sip of the gin and tonic Ross had prepared for me. The cubes made a reassuring clatter inside the tall frosted glass. There were birds rustling around in the pines that blocked the cabin from sight from the road. Clouds were gathering overhead.
            “Mourning doves getting ready to roost,” Ross said as he sat down beside me with care. The swing moved slightly. His hand rested on my knee. “Feeling better?”
            “I`m not sure what to do,” I said as I stared at the lime slice in my gin and tonic. “They`re asking me to be a totally different person, Ross.” I looked from my drink to the man on my right. “They`re trying to mold me into the very thing that I broke free from the day my father died.”
            “I know how hard it is for you, but sometimes we just have to conform.”
            “Why? Why the hell do we have to change to fit a stereotype? I`d be a damned good father figure to Andy just as I am!”
            Andrew looked from his bobber sitting atop the water at the sound of his name. Ross waved and asked if he had any bites. The lad shook his head, sandy hair falling into his eyes as he replied. I threw back a long pull of my cocktail.
            “Jon, I know you youngsters--”
            “Please don`t use that term to make me feel like a child.”




Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented Tuesday Tales authors.


See you next week!



5 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

I feel Jon's anxiety and frustration. That's the way it was back then, too. I hope he can find a way to keep Andy and his own dignity. Great story.

Iris B said...

Let's hope that last sentence doesn't mean trouble. Sad to think how many people were in the very same situation.
Great Story, Vicki!

Susanne Matthews said...

Wow, well done. The description is fabulous. Heart goes out to Jon.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you TT family. Yes, it was so difficult for our LGBT brothers and sisters in the past.

morgan said...

Great job. There are so many different types of fathers. Thanks for another reminder that different is also good.