Sunday, January 24, 2016

Snippet Sunday






Hello and welcome back for another Snippet Sunday! 

If you were or are in the path of the snowy weather I hope you're staying safe and warm. I've got a little excerpt from the fourth Venom novel, Angle Play, for you today so perhaps that will help entertain anyone who is snowbound. In this book we get to know the Venom goaltender, Stephanie Huschuk, better. While Stephanie struggles to carry the burden of being the starting goalie, her attraction to Greg Blue Blanket, her goalie coach's divorced twin brother, is only adding to the weight the young woman carries. 


In this week's snippet Stephanie and the team captain, Alicia Avery, who you'll read all about when Twirly Girl comes out on March 2, share a small moment on the ice before Stephanie discovers a little surprise that lifts her morale greatly.


This excerpt is hot off the presses and has not been professionally edited. I've done my best to make it as tidy as I could but there may be some misplaced commas or other mistakes. Please be kind about any flubs you may find. When you're done reading today's snippet, skate on over to Cathy Brockman and Ellie Mack's blog to see what they've been up to recently. 

*~*~*



     "Is there any kind of problem here?" Alicia asked after cruising behind my net. She gave the blue ice a quick look, saw that I had not gotten my shaved ice in its proper place yet, and slid gracefully into my crease. Her expression was serious.

      "Nope, all is good so you can erase your captain face and put your 'I got laid by a beatnik and I liked it' expression back on," Karrie said then skated off to torment someone else.

      "She always has to have the last word," Alicia said with a shake of her head.

     "That's just Karrie," I replied as I cradled my water bottle. "We just had a little spat earlier that was completely on me, but everything is good now."

     "Okay, as long as it's been worked out amiably. We need to play as a cohesive unit. There are only twenty games left in the season and we need to win as many as we can or we'll miss getting a wild card slot."

     "We're aware."

     "Right, yes, of course you are. Sorry. "She blushed prettily then inhaled and exhaled. "All the yoga and meditation that I've done over the past few months can't quite dampen my need to captain."

     "We love how you captain. It's all good." I assured her once again then turned to stuff my bottle into the holder. Alicia rubbed my helmet as it rested on top of the net, gave me a smile, and then skated off to attend to someone else who needed some pep talking. I meant it when I had said we all loved her. She was the kind of captain this team needed. Lord knows we were struggling to put back-to-back wins together so any kind of upbeat message played well.

     I shoved my hand into the holder clipped to the back of the net and pulled out a small but crumpled piece of paper. I looked around the ice but no one seemed to be watching me. There was a real feel of a prank in the air but I went ahead and unfolded the thick vellum. The handwriting was bold and masculine.
    
Stephanie-

     As I readied to leave home today, I thought of you and your struggle with the pressure of being in the limelight. It is a familiar one that I also had problems with at your age. Please know that if you ever wish to talk, I am but a phone call or short drive away. I wished to leave you with this quote from Herb Brooks in the hopes that it may inspire you--

     "You were born to be a player. You were meant to be here. This moment is yours."

     Veikko
    

       A prickle of tears teased my eyes. I sniffled, folded the paper neatly, and placed it inside my bra. If anyone skating past saw me playing with my boobs, they didn't say anything. I tapped the pipes with my stick twice then turned to face my teammates with determination burning in my breast. Maybe the loss of Brahms wouldn't ruin this practice after all. 






*~*~*



Don't forget to drop by Cathy and Ellie's blogs-






3 comments:

Cathy Brockman said...

Intriguing excerpt I can't wait to read more

Jean Joachim said...

Veikko keeps making appearances. I'm glad to see him here, but I'd like to know how he knows Stephanie and does Liz know about his friendship with her? I doubt he'd cheat on Liz, knowing how much he loves her, but it's a bit suspicious. Just another reason to dig into this book when it comes out. The teasing is killing me. Love your writing. Can't wait for the new book.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for stopping by Cat and Jean!

Those are good questions, Jean. Maybe I can reply without spoiling anything.

The Wildcats and Venom play in the same stadium, so both teams will know each other. They also spend time participating in various community and charity events such as the Special Skates program. Over the course of the series the bond that is beginning to grow between both teams will become stronger.

This is also the 4th book of the series so two novels and a novella have come before the events in Angle Play. We'll see who holds Stephanie's heart as the snippets continue!