Monday, November 30, 2015

Tuesday Tales Picture Prompt



Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales.




Today we have another snippet from Dear Jon. It`s our picture prompt and the excerpt must reflect the image and be under 300 words.  Don`t forget to visit the other talented Tuesday Tales authors. Thanks for stopping by!



            I hoped to meet Ross at his shop after I spent an hour with Attorney Blueberry. My sight was fixated on a painting of a red barn on the dark wooden wall after I signed where I needed to sign to start the paperwork to be Andrew`s legal guardian. A sandy-blond head rested on my shoulder. Andy`s thumb was in his mouth, something I had never seen before. I didn`t know how the kid and me were going to make it, but somehow we would. Papers shifted. The lawyer cleared his throat several times.

            “I`m glad to see that you read the letter Betty left you,” Mr. Bartlett said.

            “I didn`t read it yet.” His eyes came from his pudgy fingers resting atop a stack of files to me. “I meant to,” I quickly said, “I just – things have been rather hectic. Can you tell me . . .” I had to cough the thick knot of shame out of my throat. “Can you tell what it was that took her?”

            “Cancer of – well, cancer of the female parts,” the portly man in the tight black suit coughed. Andrew snuggled closer, his thumb still in his mouth. I nodded. So, the same thing that had taken my mother had claimed Betty. Fucking cancer. Maybe in my lifetime they`d beat that miserable shit.

            “Thank you,” I whispered, standing, suddenly desperate to be outside. The man behind the desk glanced at me as I hoisted Andy to my left hip. I sat back down.

            “As you know, your signature on that paper makes us all quite happy.” I nodded. I wasn`t sure who the "all" he mentioned were, but I was glad they were happy. “Family should step up when times are hard. After a small investigation into you and your past the court will decide if you`re suitable to be Andrew`s legal-”

            “Investigation?”  I sounded like a terrified brown mouse. Sweet Jesus and all the saints.


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented Tuesday Tales authors.


See you next week!




7 comments:

Iris Blobel said...

Cant wait to find out what the investigation will bring to light ☺

Jean Joachim said...

Oh my God! What are they going to find when they look into his past? I shiver at the thought. This story gets deeper and deeper at each new level. Love it!

Susanne Matthews said...

He and the child have bonded. I hope this works out for him.

Jillian said...

love it and somehow, I think she and the kid will be okay! :)

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all. Seems that just when Jon thinks things are going to run smoothly life throws him another curve ball.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Oh no! The state is going to mess around in his personal life? He and the boy need each other!

Sarah Cass said...

Oh no...sounds like the investigation could be a real problem. Fingers crossed they come out all right!