Monday, October 5, 2015

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt



Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have another snippet from Dear Jon. It`s our picture prompt and the excerpt must reflect the image and be under 300 words.  Don`t forget to visit the other talented Tuesday Tales authors. Thanks for stopping by!



                Guess I should have realized the only thing open between Betty`s bungalow and Hannity Hills proper would be The Blue Hen Cafe, one of those mom and pop diners that had changed hands during the depression. I parked beside a dark blue Ford pickup. The rain was coming down so hard the diner was lost in the deluge. Andrew got up onto his knees. His hair was a mess. I didn`t have a comb and I didn`t think the kid would let me tidy it for him anyway.

                “Momma buyed me soda here,” Andy whispered. My sight returned to the restaurant.

                “I wonder if they still make those meat pies,” I said, the memory vividly resting on my tongue. My stomach rumbled. Andrew looked down at my gut in admiration.

                “That was loud,” he said. I nodded.

                “Yep, guess I`m hungry too. Want to make another run for it?” I inquired, placing my wet, goose-pinched hat on his head to hide his hair. He nodded just as I knew he would. Taking his sweaty hand in mine, I threw open my car door. It smacked the blue Ford beside me. I grimaced at the sound then slammed the door shut and ran, dragging a kid in my wake. Andrew managed to hit a few mud puddles as we ran.

                Stepping inside, I was greeted by so many smells, sounds, and aromas it was nearly overwhelming. The diner was laid out real sharp. Someone had done some renovations recently. The counter was brand new by the looks, dark blue with white flecks. The tabletops matched the counter. Booths were lined up by the front wall. Short blue curtains hung on the windows.

                “Where do you want to sit?” I asked taking note of the one man at the counter as we peeled off our soaking wet jackets. Andrew dashed to the counter.



Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented Tuesday Tales authors.


See you next week!



7 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

This time I'm sorry it's limited to 300 words. I was just getting going on this scene and wanted to read more. This is such a poignant story. I'm enoying it so much.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

I like the little adventure the boy is having today-- going where his mom took him and getting to splash in a puddle.

Susanne Matthews said...

I'm enjoying this story. My heart goes out to the child. Well done. I could almost see that diner.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all for the kind words.

morgan said...

It reminds me of a diner in a small town in central Indiana. I agree with Jean, too short.

chrysnjay said...

I'm with Jean. I was sorry to see the end of the 300 words.
Wonderful snippet to a story that I'm loving.

V.L. Locey said...

Aww, thank you Morgan and chrysnjay!