Sunday, October 11, 2015

Sunday Ramble - Critter Conversations



I recall in one of my reviews for Early to Rise, a reader called me to task because the leading man had a conversation with a pig. I admit to being kind of taken aback by that comment for a short while. Did the reader not think that people spoke to pigs or to animals in general? Pigs are highly intelligent animals. We've owned pigs and trust me, we talked to them and they talked back. 

As a farming type woman, I can assure you that not only do people talk to pigs, cows, sheep, goats and poultry, we sometimes have running conversations with them. Then there are the inside pets. Heck, there are days that I feel like Dr. Doolittle!




I can't imagine that someone who owns a cat or dog doesn't talk to them. Here are a few of the recent discussions I've had with various animals on the hillside farm--

Chicken chat-

Me- *bending over to check for eggs in the nest box* What did you lovely ladies leave for me today?
Hodor (my rooster) - Cock-a-doodle-doo!
Me-Did you have to crow right in my ear? Good golly, Mister.
Hodor-Buck, buck, buck, buck, buck, buuuuuuuuck. (This is what I call the 'Hey girls, come see what I have' drop-the-wing song and dance of a rooster. Any of you who own a rooster know what I'm talking about)
Me-As long as you mean it then you're forgiven. (I just love my rooster.)




Dog speak-

Me-Stop it! The cat is not a chew toy!
Maisy-Woof, woof, woof!
Me-Don't sass back. I mean it.


Cat convo-

Lucius-*muffled meow at the front door*
Me-Whatever that is in your mouth it had better be dead.
Lucius-*muffled meow around a very alive mouse*
Me-It's not dead! Kill it!
Lucius- Meow? *drops mouse which then runs under house*
Me-Good job. Way to go you. Two big thumbs up. 
Lucius-Me-ow!

More dog speak-

Me-Maisy, where on earth did you get that?!
Maisy-*spits rotten old goat horn onto front porch* Arf! Arf!

Duck and goose conversation-

Me-Yes! Yes! I know it's dinner time but I'm busy at the moment.
Ducks/Geese- *standing at the back door *QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! HONK! HONK!
Me-Everyone is so darn pushy around here.
Ducks/Geese- HONK! HISS! HONK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!



More cat chat--

Me- Lu-Lu, if you move your tail I can close the bathroom door and take a shower.
Lu-Lu- Squeak. (Lu-Lu doesn't meow, she squeaks)
Me-Just move your tail a few inches, please.
Lu-Lu-Squeak, squeak.
Me-*nudges cat butt with toe to remove long plume-like tail from door*
Lu-Lu- HISS! SPIT! CLAW! ATTITUDE! ANGER! DISGRUNTLED GLARE!
Me-Owie.

Yet another round of dog speak-

Me-Maisy, what are you doing back there?
Maisy-Woof?
Me-I don't believe you. Are you in the litter box again?
Maisy-Woof, woof!
Me-Oh my gosh, why, why, why do you do that? *begins gagging*
Maisy-WOOF?




Do you talk to your critters? If so I would love to hear about it. I can't be the only one that does this. I hope.







2 comments:

Cathy Brockman said...

I can't imagine anyone that doesn't talk to their critters. If not maybe they need to find them home where their owners do. I loved Early to Rise

V.L. Locey said...

I can't imagine not talking to my critters either, Cathy.