Monday, September 7, 2015

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt



Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have another snippet from Dear Jon. It`s our picture prompt and the excerpt must reflect the image and be under 300 words.  Don`t forget to visit the other talented Tuesday Tales authors. Thanks for stopping by!




Cherry closed in on me. Every damned bit of wood in Theodore Bartlett`s office was cherry. Even the window frames and the legs of the chair my nephew sat in were cherry. I ran my finger around the damp collar of my shirt.

 The kid was quiet, I`ll give him that. He just sat there in his knickers, matching grey jacket and bow tie, playing with a set of steel cars and trucks, the arm of the ostentatious leather chair his highway. Was I ever that young? When had I changed from being Jon Porter the son to Jon Porter the freak? I think I was born this way. Popular theories disagreed. It was hard to look at the boy running a steel school bus up and down his thigh and imagine him already having his sexual preferences locked down. He looked up at me. My throat got tight.

“. . . wife and I were more than happy to have him until you arrived.”

“What`s his name?” I asked and died a little inside. My own sister`s kid and I didn`t know his name. Attorney Bartlett seemed to think I was a bastard as well. I could tell. His fat lips compressed slightly.

“Andrew,” he informed me. The kid glanced up from his silent play at the sound of his name. His silence was as spooky as a foggy night in one of Bela Lugosi's movies.. “Andrew David Porter, born on the fifteenth of June, nineteen forty-one to one Elizabeth Jean Porter,” the lawyer said, shuffling some papers to draw my stare from Andrew back to him.


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented Tuesday Tales authors.


See you next week!




7 comments:

Iris Blobel said...

Again, well done on the emotions, well done on the inner thoughts!

Susanne Matthews said...

Love the way you used the "foggy night from the Bela Lugosi movie" as your tie to the picture. Very imaginative.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks much Iris and Susanne!

I really had to think on how to incorporate the picture into the passage this week! =D

Jean Joachim said...

Love this story. His inner musings let you feel his anxiety mixed with curiosity. I can't wait to see how he reacts to the boy, how they find a common ground. Terrific story.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Great snippet. This kid is going to be interesting. Love the line "His silence was as spooky as a foggy night in one of Bela Lugosi's movies."

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for dropping by Jean and Flossie! The relationship between Andy and Jon becomes quite interesting as the story progresses.

Jillian said...

sounds lie a relationship in the making and I love the way you used the picture. Way to go.