Sunday, September 6, 2015

Sunday Ramble - Happy New Me (And Maybe You) Part #1




It's amazing to me how we continue to grow and change throughout our lives despite adages about old dogs and tricks. If anyone ever tells you that you're too old to change, ignore them, or kick them in the shin. You are never too old to do anything! Go out and investigate things that you have always wanted to no matter your age and wear purple while doing it!

There are a hundred and one ways to find a new you; sometimes it just requires a wake-up call. Over the past few years I've changed in ways that I think are for the better. I became a published author, which is fulfilling one dream. I quit smoking and gave up drinking soda. Now I am working to become a more fit me. As usual, the path that I am taking is not one that the masses take. Which is cool and groovy because I like to do things differently, as anyone who knows me will attest to.

I'll start at the beginning of my journey to a better me. It was last fall during my trip to NYC to see the Rangers. When I got to my seat, I could barely fit my backside into it. Now I know they cram as many seats as possible into those large stadiums to pack fans in. More seats equal more money and that's fine. What wasn't fine was how wide my rump was. And how uncomfortable I was. That stuck in my mind for months, but I still wasn't ready to do anything about it. Then, after going to the local theater with my family - an activity that I love - I found that the seats there were also growing too tight.

Something had to be done about my weight gain. Yes, I am an author and that is a sedentary job. Yes, I quit smoking and that added about 30 pounds to me. And yes, due to my GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) I cannot engage in strenuous exercise. So people telling me to just 'Get up and exercise!' really wasn't doing me any good. I can't. Jumping up and down, walking briskly, jogging, anything that is jarring sends me into a GERD flare-up that makes me sick for days. So what was the answer?





For me it was two things. Simple things really. Things that I suspected would work if I just had the guts to start doing them. Next Sunday I'll share the first of  the two changes that I have implemented into my life that has helped me drop 26 pounds to date. I  hope to lose more over the course of the next few years and I honestly think that I can do it this time! See you next week for part two and my new eating plan. (It's simple, trust me)



4 comments:

Texan said...

Good for you! All of those things are wonderful new things in a persons life!

V.L. Locey said...

Howdy and thanks, Texan! Hope life is giving you plenty of wonderful things as well.

Misty Harvey said...

Vicki, as always you are a true inspiration. I understand the quitting smoking adds weight because I'm seven months past my last cigarette, and I don't regret quitting one day. Now I've been trying to find a weight loss that works for me. I find my hubbys plan is too harsh on my body. I can't wait for the second part of this New You journey.

V.L. Locey said...

I hope that the next few posts can help you find a plan that works for you, Misty. I have lots of family members who are in tremendous shape, but, as you said, their plans are too harsh on my body. Anytime you wish to talk or ask questions, you know where to find me. =)