Monday, September 21, 2015

Monday Author/Book Spotlight - Ellie Mack's Red Wine & Roses





I'm so happy to be able to host one of my good friends today. Ellie and I have been hanging out online almost daily for a couple years now. She is a sweetheart, funny, clever, and one heck of an author. Her new book, Red Wine & Roses, is coming out soon and I am sure that you will love it as much as I did! The floor is all yours, Ellie.





Thank you for having me over! Nice little place you’ve got here.

I’m so glad that Fall is just around the corner. Love the cooler temperatures and the changing colors and baking!  It’s been way too hot over the summer to do any baking. OH, and did I mention that my book has a mini cookbook in the back? 

  So, let’s talk setting. 

For your hockey series, it makes sense that part of the story is on the ice, in the locker rooms and off ice. For Red Wine & Roses, I have several settings. The first one that I had envisioned is actually towards the end of the book at Bushkill Falls.  Bright vivid foliage dripping with recent rain, that crisp smell of wet earth beneath your feet and the slight musty smells of the surrounding forest. A slight chill in the air so that you can see puffs of your breath as you climb the trail towards the falls.

This scene was emblazoned on my mind’s eye with a couple embracing at a wooden platform designed for scenic overlook.  Of course, once I set pen to paper it didn’t come out quite like that, but that’s where I started.

The opening scene was easy as well. A brisk winter’s day in the city streets, the exhaust of passing cars making clouds of smoke as they drive by. The character’s breath visible in the cold air, pulling the jackets tight around their necks,  pulling on gloves as they make their way down the sidewalk towards the diner, then the sharp contrast of the dressed for fashion model that in no way is appropriate to the weather. 

I don’t know about you, but I’ve always wondered how some women do it. I am very temperature conscious.  My husband jokes that I have a ten-degree range of comfort.  Actually, I think it’s more like 15. LOL   In the winter, I’m bundled up when the temperatures are below freezing. Unfortunately, we get below zero temps in January and it’s brutal.  I’ve seen women wearing  slinky dresses with little more than a light jacket over it and I have wondered – how can you stand it?  On the converse of that,  when our temperatures are soaring in the summer to the triple digits,  I see  fashion conscious women wearing clothing that I would be sweltering in.  Back to my opening setting, that mental image of the fashionista dressed in a slinky dress seemingly oblivious to the cold and of course she’s a model.

Much of my story takes place with interaction inside of one of their apartments, for those settings I did a little playing around with floorplans and some marathon HGTV watching.  Yeah, you could say I’m addicted to HGTV.  Just slightly.  I went online to their website and built my apartments from pictures posted from Property Brothers mostly. 

I know it’s not like world building for a science fiction or fantasy story, but I feel that the settings are important whether it’s a juror’s room as in 12 Angry Men, or the entire planet in Dune.  How effective would your Hockey Romance stories be if they were set in the Bahamas in a hotel?  You rather lose the effect of what they do.

Each element such as setting plays a key part in  writing, and each builds off the other elements to make the whole better than the parts. At least, that’s what we shoot for. 

Red Wine & Roses

BLURB - Julia Mathers has had bad dates, but the blind date for a New Year’s Eve party takes the cake. Derek Snow, a sexy ambitious lawyer has definite plans for his future and a relationship is the furthest thing from his mind. 
From their first meeting, the fireworks fly as the embers of passion ignite into  a blazing inferno. Until Derek's ex, a fashion model has designs of her own.
As Julia works to overcome her insecurities, Derek realizes a love he can't deny, but is he too late?
Red Wine & Roses takes the reader on a treacherous journey of love, betrayal, heartbreak and self-discovery.



Buy link:






AUTHOR BIO:
Ellie Mack received her BS in cartography from Southeast Missouri State University. After leaving the corporate world for the title of MOM, she has pursued her writing dreams. Nowadays Ellie charts unmapped territory through her fiction and humor writing. She lives near St. Louis with her husband of 30 years and their two teen daughters.  When she's not writing, she can be found scrapbooking, crocheting or cooking.  You can find her musings on her blog Quotidiandose. (https://quotidiandose.wordpress.com

Facebook  Ellie Mack author
Twitter- @Mack_Ellie
Pinterest- Ellie Mack
My blog- Quotidiandose






2 comments:

Ellie Mack said...

Thank you for hosting me! I loved sharing the fun bits with you! OK, well fun parts for me in incorporating my addiction into research. I"ll share the fun bits of the story next time.
Love you lady!

V.L. Locey said...

It was my pleasure! You're welcome to come visit whenever you wish. *hugs*