Monday, July 13, 2015

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt



Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



Today we have another snippet from Wind in White Birch. It`s our picture prompt and the excerpt must reflect the image and be under 300 words.  Don`t forget to visit the other talented Tuesday Tales authors. Thanks for stopping by!



            Sometimes you have to be thankful for rowdy boys. Julia`s three sons came charging into the kitchen ahead of their mother, effectively cutting off any disparaging comments she might have had brewing. Was she happy to see me here, eating her brothers food after obviously spending the night in his bed? Not at all. Her eyes glazed over like ice-hewn obsidian as she barked at her sons to settle down. Jonah, being the youngest of his brood and a first-class instigator, opened the day’s festivities.

            “Sorry you missed all the coffee, Jules. It was hard to get moving this morning,” he said with a wink. I sipped my coffee, peeking over the rim of the mug.

            “Did you and Dana work hard last night?” one of Julia`s boys asked while sneaking a flapjack from the platter.

            “You could say that,” Jonah said, eyeing his sister`s stiff back. Julia, to her credit, simply continued making a fresh pot of coffee. When she turned around my eyes widened and I slurped without meaning to.

            “So I guess me coming out to help you with the log treatment isn`t necessary now?” She leaned against the counter and proceeded to nail her brother to his seat with a glare.

            “Well, no,” he said, pushing his chair out and rising slowly. “We had other business to attend to last night.”

            “You said we could go to the lake." A young man with brilliant brown eyes and uncombed hair poked Jonah soundly in the ribs. I lowered my mug and cleared my throat. Five heads swiveled in my direction.

            “I`d be happy to take the boys to the lake,” I offered with my most cheery voice, imagining what it would look like in the summer instead of still covered with ice as it probably was now. 

            A very long, tense moment dragged by.


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented Tuesday Tales authors.


See you next week!





8 comments:

Iris Blobel said...

I hope the sister will come around soon. They're such a wonderful couple, she must see that!

V.L. Locey said...

I suspect Julia is a bit overly protective of her younger siblings. Hopefully she lightens up soon. Thanks for stopping by, Iris!

Sarah Cass said...

Oh, she's trying to make nice. I hope Jonah is able to get his sister to settle down!

V.L. Locey said...

I hope so as well, Sarah! Thank you for visiting. =)

Jean Joachim said...

Uh oh. Big Sis is getting in the way. I hope she chills out and lets them work things out. Love this story and this couple!

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

I like seeing him in his family environment and his sister's protective attitude.

V.L. Locey said...

Big sisters can be so protective!

Thanks for dropping by Flossie and Jean. =)

morgan said...

Being the youngest, now his sister's behavior makes sense.