Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday Ramblings - Why Women`s Hockey?



I imagine a lot of readers may be wondering why I decided to write my next M/F hockey series about a women`s pro ice hockey team. That`s a good question and one that I'd love to touch on today!




When I was about halfway through the To Love a Wildcat series I had to make a decision. End the series and move onto another team in another city, or continue in Philadelphia with more Wildcats books. I felt that I had laid out all the books that I wished for the 'Cats but gosh darn it, I wanted to be able to stay in Philly as well as have the Wildcat gang make some cameos. What should I do? I couldn't really bring in another men's pro team but I could bring in a women's . . .

As soon as the idea popped up, I loved it. Why not a women`s team?! Women play sports. Many women play sports! As much as we all love our male players as romance heroes, I felt some light should be shed on women hockey players. Writing about female players would also give me more freedom to show the sport from the inside, instead of just having the leading lady watching the games. In the Venom books the women are on the ice smack dab in the middle of all the action!

Women`s hockey is growing by leaps and bounds. Look at how wildly successful Team USA was. America fell in love with those amazing women. We also have the NWHL, a new league for professional women`s hockey. I've been following the growth of the NWHL on Facebook and am super excited about it!



The time was right for a fictional women`s team to skate onto the ice at the Houseman. Once I had that decision made the rest fell into line. I'm thrilled to be able to write the stories of these incredible women who play the roughest, and most amazing, sport in the world. I hope you grow to love each of the Venom players and coaches, as well as their romantic interests. This is going to be one heck of a ride! Hang onto your helmets hockey romance fans. The Venom will be hitting the ice August 17! 

***




Blurb:

 Fiery, flame-haired Jane Bratkowski is catapulted from a small college town to Philadelphia to become head coach of a new women’s hockey team, The Venom. It’s a life-changing opportunity, a dream come true until – in a cruel twist of fate that could turn into a nightmare – she comes face to face with her ex-husband Tore Ahlberg, the Wildcats' head of European Scouting.

Suddenly, Jane’s faced with more challenges than she bargained for: Will she let him distract her -- and derail her big chance to coach pro hockey? Can she build a team of relatively inexperienced, irrepressible young women into champions? Can she and Tore triumph over the gut-wrenching tragedy that ripped them apart -- or will the shocking truth of their passionate past threaten to destroy them once again?


1 comment:

Kelly Erickson said...

I love it!
It's about time. I love watching women play hockey. My nephew had a shy, quiet, unassuming girlfriend who became a fiend when she laced up her skates. She was even assistant captain of the mixed male/female team.
Thank you for writing about women who are athletes.