Monday, May 18, 2015

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt



Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



 Today we have a small excerpt from the next installment of Wind in White Birch. This week is our picture prompt week. Our excerpts must be 300 words or less and incorporate the image somehow. Don`t forget to visit the other talented Tuesday Tales authors. Thanks for stopping by!

Wind in White Birch



                The sun was creeping up over The `Burgh when someone nudged me awake. The smell of hot coffee and bacon was directly under my nose. I reached for the cup blindly. Rhick crouched in front of me, his face unshaven and his blond hair ruffled. Rhick always looked incredible in the morning, especially when holding breakfast on a plate. I carefully took the Styrofoam cup from his hand.

            “Thanks,” I murmured, glancing at my son still out cold. “What time is it?”
           
            Rhick glanced at his gold watch then set my food on a small rolling table. “A little after five,” he stood up then sat down beside me, taking care not to allow our elbows to rub. I sipped warily. The coffee was just the way I like it. “Look, about the shit I said last night about that kid you`re dating . . .”

            A rusty blade jabbed into my side at the mention of Jonah. Where was he? I had sat here next to Rhick for hours, biting the inside of my mouth to keep the tears at bay, worrying over where he could have gone and what would remain of our relationship, if you could really call it a relationship.

            “He`s not a kid, Rhick.” I spoke softly into my creamed and sugared. “He`s twenty-six.”

            “And you`re thirty-six. Jesus, Dana,” he grumbled, swirling dregs of sugared but black in the bottom of his cup.

            “But it`s okay for you to shag a twenty-two year old? God, I hate double-standards,” I seethed, slurping more loudly than I had planned.

            “Well, maybe if you saw the dinner conversation me and the twenty-two year old have, you`d steer clear of that young buck.”

Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


See you next week!




11 comments:

Iris Blobel said...

I despise this man ..... Arrgghh ..... Great snippet Vicki .

V.L. Locey said...

He certainly has acted like a horse`s backside, hasn`t he, Iris?

Jillian said...

I do not like him, Sam I am. LOL! He's a toad and I hope she lets him know in no uncertain terms AND soon.

Cathy Brockman said...

I didn't like Rhick either LOL

V.L. Locey said...

Ha,ha! No one likes him it seems. =D

Jean Joachim said...

He's pond scum. But I want to know where Jonah is, too. Jonah's twice the man Rhick will ever be. What about the conversations with 22 year olds? Maybe that's Rhick's real mental age? Come back, Jonah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V.L. Locey said...

Ha,ha! Maybe that IS his real mental age, Jean! Thanks for stopping by.

Joselyn Vaughn said...

Wow, Rhick is a piece of work.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Rhick is obnoxious, but I'm glad to see he's showing a little humanity here. Of course he's not as mature as Jonah, despite their ages.

V.L. Locey said...

Rhick does seem to leave a sour taste in the mouth. But you`re right that he is showing some humanity, Flossie.

morgan said...

What a wonderful depiction of Rhick, the ex we love to hate. :)