Monday, May 25, 2015

Tuesday Tales - Attitude



Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales.



 Today we have the rest of the chapter for Wind in White Birch and our word prompt is "Attitude. Don`t forget to visit the other talented Tuesday Tales authors. Thanks for stopping by!

Wind In White Birch



            I glanced from the monitor telling me my son`s temperature, blood pressure, and heart rate were normal to my ex. Rhick had just shoved his hand through his golden hair making it even more a mess.

            “Having trouble finding things to talk about with her?” I asked with a trace of humor. Okay, it wasn`t a trace of humor, it was a snort of sarcasm topped with a fluffy dollop of ‘Ha-Ha!’

            “It`s like sitting down to eat with a teenager. The language barrier doesn`t help either,” he exhaled, still spinning his dregs. “Sometimes I wonder if she didn`t marry me just to get into America.”

            It was right on the tip of my tongue. I was good though and did not hit him with the ‘I-Think-I-Mentioned-That-Possibility-When-You-Handed-Me-Divorce-Papers-Asshole!’ The squeak of a passing nurse`s shoes entered our tiny room.

            “I doubt it,” I said hoping to be the better person. “I`m sure she loves you. You look great for forty and it`s not that way with Jonah and me.”

            Rhick looked at me for a long moment. “I`m sorry for being such an ass,” he told me earnestly. “I guess I never knew how much I still cared about you until I saw you on the arm of another man. I`m going to call and let her know how Rhett is." He rose and left me sitting there with my jaw on my chest stunned at his change of attitude.

            After a moment, I got to my feet to pad over to the window. I pushed the slats of the blind aside and looked down on a massive parking lot. Yes, I was looking for Jonah`s truck. I didn`t find it, but that didn`t mean he wasn`t here. He might have had to park in a different lot when he returned.

Letting the vertical blinds slip closed, I checked on my son`s temperature. Mom-hand is always so much more reassuring than any artificial device. Rhett`s forehead was cool. Tension began to slip away. I pecked his cheek, covered him back up, and then stepped out into the hall. Rhick was ensconced in a corner by a bank of pay phones, his cell to his ear. He looked up then gave me a wobbly smile. I raised my cup to him then went out to the waiting room. The only person in sight was a janitor who was running a wet mop over the tiled floor. I stepped around his bright orange collapsible ‘Wet Floor’ sign, getting a dark look for mussing up his mop job.

Outside the night was brutal. I hugged myself with one arm then drew a shaky sip of coffee over my lips. It was terribly cold here under the porte cochere.  I felt like a fool who had spent far too much time reading stupid romance novels. I should have known that Jonah wouldn`t be waiting here for me like some hero from a historical love story. This is real life. Men don`t act like fictional men do. If they did the romance novel industry would cease to exist.

Real men got really mad, hurt, and confused. They acted like hotheads. They yelled, shouted, and divorced their wives to leap on some bimbo that they hope will keep them young. They left you alone with a sick son to sulk. Maybe Jonah wasn`t quite as mature as I had thought he was. Perhaps Rhick was right about the age gaps being too wide. I needed a man that stayed with me when it got rough, not one that went off into the night in a cloud of bruised ego. I spun around and slammed back inside. I stopped to use a nearby ladies room and  freshened up the best I could then returned to my son`s room, smiling a false smile for the young man who was now awake, hungry, and ready to go do the fun stuff we had planned to do with Jonah. I smiled wider and started making excuses.



Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


See you next week!



5 comments:

Tricia Andersen said...

Nooooo!! Where is Jonah??
(Great excerpt by the way!!)

Iris Blobel said...

She was surprised by his attitude? Damn, so was I ... and what is it with her doubts now in regards to Jonah ... big no no. BIG NO NO !

PS - Great post ;-)

Jean Joachim said...

Wiat a minute! I thought you were bringing Jonah back! *sobs* This is no fair! Making Rhick nicer and Jonah gone. Damn, you've made me care so much about these characters. Now I'm hurting almost as much as she is.

Joselyn Vaughn said...

I love her thought process at the end. So glad Rhett is improving.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all for dropping by! Hopefully things with our lovers will improve now that Rhett is recovering.