Sunday, March 22, 2015

Beatnik Ideals & Folk Songs

People never cease to amaze me. Just when you think you may have possibly moved past a chunk of illogical thinking sitting smack dab in the middle of the tracks of understanding, you find another chunk of illogical thinking just down the rails a bit. I know that I have addressed this absurd notion before in a blog post, but gosh darn it; someone keeps dropping this dumb rock right in front of me as I ride the train of a harmonious existence

Stop it people! I'm trying to make the remainder of my journey in this life a peaceful one. I envision Cat Stevens and me riding on the Peace Train, singing songs about love, harmony, and girls named Ruby, until we pull into the heavenly train station in the sky. Sounds pretty far out, doesn`t it? It would be if it weren`t for people always tossing rocks onto the rails. So, let me just say this again and maybe it will stick this time. Then Cat and I can continue our journey of beatnik ideals and folk songs.



People of the world pay heed!

It is okay for authors who are not gay to write gay romance. It is okay for authors who are not black/white/tan/pink/purple/green or blue women married to black/white/tan/pink/purple/green or blue men to write interracial romance. It is okay for authors who are not women to write romances. It is okay for any author to write in any genre they wish. Authors make things up and are not always what they are writing about. A few cases in point--

I doubt that Stephen King is a vampire, rabid dog, or dresses as a clown that lives in sewers. (Note I used the word "doubt")

As far as I know, J. R. Ward is not a badass vampire king or one of his band of fighters.

I do not think that J.R.R. Tolkein was an elf, dwarf king, or talking dragon.

It seems unlikely that J. K. Rowling is a young boy wizard.

Chances are slim that George R. R. Martin is a svelte blonde dragon princess.

I have strong suspicions that Mark Twain ever visited King Authur`s court. 

It`s highly unlikely that Suzanne Collins is a young female archer that overthrows a government.

V.L. Locey does not have to be a burly male hockey player to write about them. (I just wanted to see my name up here with the greats. Forgive me.)

It`s called fiction and it is okay for people who are not dragons to write about dragons. It`s actually easier for humans to write about dragons because dragons have a hard time holding a pen or typing on a laptop.

Why this prejudice keeps popping up all the time is beyond me. You do not have to be what you are writing about folks. If that were the case then we would have no books aside from how-to manuals, biographies, and non-fiction historical accounts of battles of yesteryear. Imagination is a wonderful thing. As long as the author treats his/her subject/subjects with respect then he/she can write about any darn thing, and in any genre, that tickles their tootsies.

Now, can we please move past this so that Cat and I can continue our placid jaunt?

Peace out.















2 comments:

Ariana Gaynor said...

Well said, my dear!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Ariana. Perhaps if it is said often enough we'll stop hearing such silliness all the time.