Monday, February 9, 2015

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales. 



We have a picture prompt this week so the excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be three hundred words or under. Today`s excerpt is the beginning of the chapter nine for Wind in White Birch.

Don`t forget to visit the other talented Tuesday Tales authors. Thanks for stopping by!



I was trying to spit clean the dried yolk from my son`s face. It was a lesson in exasperation for me, him, and it seemed the driver as well.

“Dana, just leave the kid alone, okay? We're not going to meet the President,” Jonah huffed. “Turn around and enjoy the ride,” he added in a softer tone.

“Yeah Mom, just leave the kid alone!” Rhett slapped his arms over his chest.

“Two against one isn`t fair,” I said, returning to face forward. The rolling countryside was a canvas of varying shades of white and gray. I imagined a luxurious table setting for two, just like the one Jonah and I shared on our first date. It helped break up the monotony of the view and made me feel fuzzy inside. 

“We men have to stick together in the war against mom spit.” Jonah raised his hand for - and received - a very hearty high five from the backseat rider. Rhett cranked his red and white kids MP3 player up to dangerous ear safety levels. Jonah grabbed his travel mug of coffee with his freshly slapped hand.

“You weren`t complaining about mom spit the last time we kissed,” I muttered. The man at my left nearly spewed his mouthful of java across the windshield. I smiled smugly as Mr. Big Deer dabbed at the front of his coat.

“Damn Dana, the things you say,” he teased, reaching over to squeeze my knee. I was proud as punch. Rhett was singing along to 1985 sung by a group of kids instead of Bowling for Soup. He flatly refused to listen to the toddler songs he had loved before he went to kindergarten. I suspect some older kid (probably a third or fourth grader) teased him for his collection of Barney songs. Sometimes I wish he never had to leave my side or the innocence of time before school.

Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


See you next week!




11 comments:

K. M. Springsteen said...

Mom spit! good thing *I* was not drinking anything!

Iris Blobel said...

Hahahaha ... "stick together in the war against mom spit" ... love it, and I agree, the things she comes up with are brilliant! So loving this story!

Jean Joachim said...

Love her comeback to Jonah about mom spit. Great use of the picture prompt, too. They already seem like a family. Love this story!

Jillian said...

I'm totally against Mom-spit as well. AND superb use of the picture. Way to fit it in.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks all. Yes, that darn Mom spit needs to be outlawed. =D

Jeanine said...

I like the kid's dialogue. Nice scene.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Haha, love the mom spit too!

V.L. Locey said...

Mom spit cleans everything! =D

Karen Cino said...

Love the mom spit too.

morgan said...

The man at my left nearly spewed his mouthful of java across the windshield. Loved it.

chrysnjay said...

Loved seeing her comment that makes his spew his coffee out!