Monday, January 12, 2015

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Welcome back to Tuesday Tales!



It's time for more romance. We have a picture prompt this week so the excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be three hundred words or under.  Please check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!



Wind in White Birch

            Apparently Jonah Big Deer`s charm was not limited to thirty-something divorced mothers. It also swept women in their eighties and nineties off their feet. He was like champagne and glittery presents on Christmas.  Pity I hadn`t found him naked under my tree.
            All kidding aside, I was very pleased to see Jonah doing so well with the old gals. His confident yet humble manner had even taken some of the pinched distrust away from my grandmother`s thickly colored lips. He was pleasantly flirtatious with those who would play along like my aunts Mary and Jo-Jo. With the other three less giggly Zajac sisters, he was polite deference and respectable good grace. At the moment he was engaged in a lengthy discussion with Aunt Elizabeth.
            “He seems nice enough,” I heard my grandmother say. I buried the ‘No Shit!’ smile that wanted to break free before turning to look at her.
            “He`s a very nice man,” I said. She patted her hair, although it was just an affectation. There was enough Aqua-Net on the mound of red curls to hold the beehive in place during a hurricane. Honestly. I saw it happen once on vacation.
            “He needs to cut his hair,” she said. The statement didn’t surprise me.
“Lots of Native American men have long hair,” I pointed out. She sucked on that like statement as if  it were a lemon drop. “I think it`s sexy,” I added just to be that way. Her nostrils flattened.
“You thought Rhick`s hair was sexy too, and look where that got you!” the woman snapped, spun around as neatly as possible given her rather low center of gravity and artificial hip, then stalked to the food table for another halupki.
Ouch.


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented Tuesday Tales authors.


11 comments:

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Another great excerpt with well drawn characters. I love how Jonah adjusts to each of the ladies. He's quite a guy.

Iris Blobel said...

What a great way to use the prompt. Well done ... and I loved the comment about finding him naked under her tree .... I would've liked that too :-)

Jean Joachim said...

Ouch is right! Slap that woman silly. What a terrible thing to say. But some people are like that. I love how real your characters are. My only regret was the 300 word limit on this piece. I could have kept reading all day.

Carolyn Gibbs said...

This story really sounds like a hoot. Like how you used the prompt to describe Jonah.

Cathy Brockman said...

I loved it!

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks all!

chrysnjay said...

Great snippet - as usual. I could read your tales all day long. My favorite line: "There was enough Aqua-Net on the mound of red curls to hold the beehive in place during a hurricane."

Karen Cino said...

Great piece. I have to say the Aqua-Net made me think of my grandmother. I'm looking forward to reading more about Jonah.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Karen. It reminds me of my grandmother as well!

morgan said...

She sucked on that like statement as if it were a lemon drop. My favorite line in this excerpt.

I think I have some of the same relatives too. :)

Jillian said...

love the long hair comment and then the paragraph where she turns on that artificial hip. Very evocative.