Monday, January 5, 2015

Tuesday Tales - Gray

Welcome back to Tuesday Tales!




It's time for more romance. Today we have issue five of my multicultural romance serial Wind in White Birch. Our word prompt this week is 'Gray.' Please check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!

Wind in White Birch





St. Clare of Assisi Parish
Clairton, PA

            I kept checking my watch. My grandmother kept checking me. I wanted to chalk it up to her overprotective nature but I felt it was something else, something that related directly to Rhett and me going off with Jonah Big Deer if I was reading her correctly. I could understand her reticence and unease. She didn`t know Jonah or his grandfather Andy.
She flatly refused to go to Mud Puppy Lake, citing her desire to stay right on State Street and not get lost in the woods ‘with wild Indians roaming around’ was always dangling silently at the end of her derogatory statement. That was her loss. The Big Deer men were outgoing, kind, considerate, and in the case of Jonah, hot as hell.
            The birthday party was in full swing.  A local polka band was belting out the Too Fat polka. Rhett was racing around the bingo hall with cousins of cousins. I was hiding in the corner behind the food tables, my plate overflowing with three fat halupki. Rhett was supposed to eat one of the pudgy stuffed cabbages but he was running on high octane and couldn`t stop long enough. I was nibbling at the cabbage rolls, tasting Aunt Anne`s touch in the fine mix of meat inside the cabbage.
          No wonder I`m a size sixteen. The tables were groaning under the weight of halupki, halushki, pierogies, ham hocks, kielbasa, and desserts of every conceivable kind. Even as I chewed a forkful of cabbage, ground beef and pork I eyed the various individual fruit rolls dusted with confectioner`s sugar.
This is what those of us with Zajac blood consider finger food. When I was a teenager I`d have homemade pierogies for a snack at night. Yep. My ass and mashed potato filled dough balls are on first name terms and sadly resemble each other.
“Damn, something smells good.” A very familiar and husky voice purred beside my right ear. I drew in a shaky breath through my nose.
“It`s the pierogies,” I replied, feeling the heat of Jonah Big Deer searing through the thin material of my party dress.
“No,” he said, his breath blowing over my ear and rustling a few strands of blonde hair that I had left loose, “It`s you.”
The wolf comparison of last night came roaring back with enough fire to ignite the gray print material of my dress. If he kissed the back of my neck, I would not be held responsible for what happened next. Not wishing to have Father Wikowski witness such a depraved act in his bingo hall, I slowly turned around. Perhaps I should have kept facing forward.
Jonah was just as tall, just as wide of shoulders and lean of waist, and just as sensually magnetic as I recalled. His black hair was pulled into a ponytail. He was bundled up in his heavy black wool coat. His eyes were black diamond pools sitting squarely astride a wide Seneca nose. He was absolute male prowess and sensuality wrapped up in a sultry six foot two inch package of younger man. Rowr! I dug my claws – I mean my fingernails – into my palms to keep from using him as a sexy scratching post. His lips split into an appreciative smile, perfect white teeth set off brilliantly against russet flesh. My bra grew restrictive.  
“You look great.” He leaned closer to be heard over the singer and accordions. I blushed and mumbled thanks.
“Are you hungry?” I shouted then wiggled my fingers at the birthday boy and his wife as they danced past with quizzical looks.
“Yeah, as a matter of fact I am,” Jonah said sheepishly. “I was in such a hurry to get down here I didn`t eat anything. Just showered to get the stink of diesel fuel off and dove into the truck. Looks like a great party,” he added as I shifted around him.
“If there`s one thing my people know how to do, it`s party and eat.” I grinned while handing him a glass plate from atop a tower of green and white salvers. He winked down at me. Desire unfurled in my lower abdomen. It was probably a good thing that Rhett spied Jonah at that moment. Otherwise, wild and sexy things may have occurred on top of the halupki platter. My son, and several cousins, came tearing through the adults on the dance floor. Rhett arrived in a whirlwind of young boy enthusiasm.
“Hey Jonah!” the dervish called breathlessly.
“Hey little man, long time no see,” Mr. Big Deer countered, knocking knuckles with my son. “You got taller since I saw you last,” Jonah noticed, reaching down to ruffle the lads sandy hair.
“Yah, I think I grew another foot or something. Hey, thanks for those mitts, they`re awesome! I brought them along so we can play catch! Mom`s kind of afraid of the ball,” my son said with utter shame for his maternal catching partner. Jonah quirked a dark eyebrow at me to which I shrugged in response. I wanted to say something in reply but the Clairton Corp came swooping across the bingo hall at that moment like the fabled Norse Valkyries riding down upon a dead Viking to carry him to Valhalla.
“Jonah Big Deer, you take off that coat then give me a hello hug!” Aunt Jo-Jo cried as the band quieted. Poor Jonah was stripped of his coat with haste then whisked down the food line, his plates filled to the ‘Needing Sideboards’ capacity. He was then herded to a long folding table, shoved into a collapsible chair, and surrounded by old women with sharp eyes and dull hearing.
I meandered over with Rhett at my side.
“Mom, are they going to pinch Jonah`s cheeks like they do mine?” the boy asked.
I caught my grandmother`s constipated look. “I kind of doubt it, but with Aunt Jo, you never know.”  Of course with Aunt Josephine, it wasn`t the cheeks of Jonah`s handsome face that might be pinched.




Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented Tuesday Tales authors.



8 comments:

Mary Terrani said...

I love this scene. I can see Aunt Jo contemplating pinching his cheeks ;)

V.L. Locey said...

Ha,ha! So can I, Mary. Thanks for dropping by.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Go for it, Aunt Jo! Love the sexual chemistry in such a crowded, non-sexual setting.

Jean Joachim said...

Great scene. I can taste the food and smell it, too. Nice set up for a steamy scene yet to come I hope. Love this story.

V.L. Locey said...

Aunt Jo is a firecracker, no doubt! Thanks for the kind words Flossie and Jean. =)

Jillian said...

love it. This whole story makes me smile every week. Can I pinch someone's cheeks?? LOL

morgan said...

Every excerpt, I fall in love with a sentence.

This is mine today. His eyes were black diamond pools sitting squarely astride a wide Seneca nose. :)

morgan said...

Every excerpt, I fall in love with a sentence.

This is mine today. His eyes were black diamond pools sitting squarely astride a wide Seneca nose. :)