Saturday, December 6, 2014

Wounded Warrior Blog Hop





Hello, and welcome to my blog. Thank you for participating in the Secret Cravings Publishing Wounded Warrior Blog Hop. My name is V. L. Locey and I write erotic hockey romances for SCP. I'm honored to be able to take part in such a worthwhile cause, and encourage everyone to do what they can for veterans this holiday season, and throughout the year. Each author participating in this blog has made a holiday donation to the Wounded Warrior Foundation. 

I was lucky enough to have a wonderful Navy veteran in my life. Pop just passed away on November 12th, and while going through his papers I found something that I thought would be interesting to share during our hop. Imagine my surprise to find my father`s original discharge papers!







As you can see the envelope is a bit ragged, but the honorable discharge form is still in perfect condition. On the back of the form is listed all the important information about Pop`s service time - 8/23/43 to 5/30/45 - and the various vessels and stations he served on. Also listed on the back are his monthly rate of pay when discharged, which was $66.00, and the fact that Pop had been furnished a travel allowance of 5 cents per mile from Mare Island, CA to Philadelphia, PA, which was where he lived.

Finding these papers was a lovely way to share the past with my daughter. I hope you enjoyed this peek into the past of a World War II Navy veteran and a truly great man, husband, and father. Tell me about the vet in your life in the comment section below for a chance to win a free Kindle copy of any of my Secret Cravings Books. I'll pick one random winner from among the comments, so please make sure to leave contact information. Without it I can't contact you to give you your prize! 

Thank you for dropping by and may you and yours have a wonderful holiday season. Don`t forget to hop back to the main blog and visit the other SCP authors who are taking part. There are tons of prizes to be won! 





28 comments:

Heare2Watts said...

As a genealogist and sentimental person, I love the treasures you found. I am a military brat, wife of a former soldier and mother of an active soldier for the past 2001, since 911. He has deployed 7 times, 4 to Iraq and 3 to Afghanistan. I have had too many holidays with my son in a foreign land. He is stateside now.
Kathy Watts
Redrabbitt@aol.com

Karen Cino said...

Hope you have a wonderful Holiday with your family full of love and happiness.

Tamara Hoffa said...

What a Great Find Vicki!

danie88 said...

my mothers good friend and now boyfriend was an army ranger and is a great man, he currently suffers from PTSD and we are helping him through it. he is a big supporter of fellow veterans as well. thanks so much for this great cause!

Kathleen Ball said...

Hi

V.L. Locey said...

It was a wonderful find. I was so happy to have those papers to pass along to my daughter.

Laurie White said...

Hi Vicki...my dad was in the Army in the early 60s and was discharged right before I was born. (I was conceived in Okinawa, Japan and almost born there!) He never saw combat, but he has some entertaining stories about his time in the service. How wonderful that you found your dad's discharge papers! What a great memento.

Beverly Ovalle said...

Happy Holidays! What a wonderful find.

Teresa Richards said...

My boyfriend is a Vietnam Vet. He did 2 tours in Vietnam and was in the Army, a little over 15 years all together. I have seen his discharge papers, but only copies. The originals were lost long ago. He is 71 years old. Thank you for this.

Teresa Richards said...

I posted already but forgot my email address. My brain seems not to be working at the moment. I don't mean to be entering twice.

tar7159@sbcglobal.net

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you all for supporting the hop and for commenting! Best of luck to everyone.

Evelise Archer said...

We are a family of military personnel so I can imagine the feeling you had of finding your Pops papers. Have a wonderful holiday!
Evelise

havensrealm said...

Merry Christmas, Vicki! Thank you for being a part of this worthy hop.

SherryGLoag said...

What an interesting post, thanks for sharing. I hope you and your family all have a happy Christmas.

Manda Ward said...

I don't have a vet in my life. My husband was an engineer in the RAF and my late grandfather was in the merchant navy. Happy Christmas xxxx Manda x

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

I have several vets in my life, as you can tell from my blog post, but I'll mention my beloved husband Ronnie here. He served in the Army and loved to drive tanks. Thanks for participating in this worthwhile hop.

Jeanine said...

Interesting find! Thanks for sharing Vicki.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

My brother is the "archivist" in our family and has similar documents from my dad's years in the SeaBees (Construction Battalion of the U.S. Navy) during WWII. Such treasures!
Wishing you success with the Wounded Warriors blog hop (and a merry Christmas too!)

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks for visiting everyone!

Vikki said...

Merry Christmas! I'm married to an Army vet, and in my first marriage, that husband was active duty Navy, so for 19 years I was a Navy wife. I understand the sacrifice these men and women make and also their families.

Quilt Lady said...

Happy Holiday's! This is an awesome thing you all are doing.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you for commenting Vikki and Quilt Lady!

Amy Rose Bennett said...

My husband is in the military and is currently deployed overseas. We've been married 21 years and this is first Christmas I won't be spending with him. So all things considered that's pretty good going! Merry Christmas to you and yours, Vikki :) .

Tina B said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father's passing. I thank him for his years of service!
I have many vets in my life. My grandfather (who passed away years ago), was in the Navy. One of my brothers served in the Army. I have many cousins and several uncles who have also served.
I also take martial arts with my son and our Sensei is a former Army Ranger who served for 26 years. He is an inspiration and an amazing person. :)
Thank you for the wonderful hop!
trb0917 at gmail dot com

Shadow said...

Thank you for the wonderful post. That old paperwork is so cool. Weve had some family members serve in several different military branches, but ive never seen the paper work. Thanks for sharing!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Holly Letson said...

My father was in the Army in his younger days. I'd love to find his paperwork, but I no longer live around my parents.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you Amy, Tina, Shadow and Holly for supporting the WW Blog hop!

V.L. Locey said...

****GIVEAWAY NOW CLOSED****

The winner is Shadow! Congratulations!

I'll be getting in contact with Shadow shortly via email. A huge thanks to all who hopped and commented.

May all of you have a joyous holiday season.