Monday, December 8, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Welcome back! It's time for more romance.




We have a picture prompt this week so the excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be three hundred words or under.  This week we have the first three hundreds words of issue three, and next week we'll have the rest of this issue. Please check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!

Wind in White Birch





It`s so funny how the mind conjures up smells to tantalize and befuddle merely from hearing someone` s voice. Standing amid the carnage that is my family I could smell Jonah Big Deer. Yes, he was in a different state but my nose seemed to think he was right beside me. The dark spice and evergreen scent of the man nearly overwhelmed me. It stirred up a wintery scene in my mind, for I will always associate Jonah with nature, wood smoke, and the touch of snowflakes on the skin. Then reality barged in and opened a damned window. The sensual smell of sexy man was replaced with a cloud of dollar store perfume and Ben-Gay.

“Can you hold on for one minute?” I asked sweetly.

“Sure, sounds like your busy,” he said. That deep sinful bass rumbling out of the phone nearly gave me an eargasm.

“Sort of,” I smiled stupidly, placed the phone to my shoulder then spun around like a possessed woman. “Can you please shut up?” I shouted at the Zajac sisters.

All five women and one wiener dog fell into silence.  My grandmother`s penciled eyebrows flew up to her red hairline. Shit. That outburst was going to cost me.

“Sorry honey,” Jo-Jo cooed, waddling over to fetch her dog. I nodded and lifted the phone. “Keep it down you old bats. That`s hot Jonah on the phone!”

My stomach lurched. Jo gave me a big thumbs ups. I could hear Jonah chuckling back in New York State.

“Can you call me on my cell?” I turned my back to the low whispers.

“Sure, can you give it to me again? I lost it. Do you know how many bookstores there are in Pittsburgh?” he inquired. Something tingled in my heart.

“You called them all?” I sighed like a tween spotting Justin Beiber.

“It was the only way to get in touch with you.”


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented Tuesday Tales authors.


10 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

I love the allusion to his scent.Powerful. And then the old gals crack me up. The description of "dollar store perfume and Ben Gay" is hilarious. Great snippet. This story just keeps getting better and better!

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

The dark spice and evergreen scent is wonderful. Great excerpt, and I'm so glad Jonah is intrepid.

K. M. Springsteen said...

Great imagery! I felt like I was there.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you Kay, Flossie, and Jean! I'm glad Jonah doesn`t give up easily too.

Iris Blobel said...

Oh vicki, so well done, the use of the pic, her outburst and his effort to call her. Can't wait for next week.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks so much, Iris.

chrysnjay said...

I adore 'standing amid the carnage that is my family', laughed out loud at that. And I love the aunts/sisters.
Great scene.
Congratulations on your new hockey series!!

V.L. Locey said...

I myself have stood among the carnage of my family from time to time. =D

Thanks for stopping by chrysnjay!

morgan said...

Ahh, I love this. I need the entire story.

Jillian said...

awesome. Love that he searched her out. Your descriptions are so well done. I'm impressed.