Monday, October 13, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Letter

Welcome back to Tuesday Tales! 



It's time for  more romance. Today we have the first installment of a short holiday addition that spanned White Moon, Yellow Leaves and Wind in White Birch. We'll have four short issues of Blue & Silver Bows that details Dana and Jonah`s first date.

Our word prompt this week is 'Letter'. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!

Blue & Silver Bows





Pittsburgh, PA



“Mom, if you and Jonah get married will I be Rhett Big Deer? I think that would be a cool name. Better than Rhett Waters. Mr. Boyer said it was cool that we knew Indians and that they were purse and cutie.”

I stopped at the red light and stared at the six year old chatterbox buckled into the seat at my right.

“Your teacher said what?” Rhett stopped drawing a bear in the steam of his window and turned lovely blue eyes to me. Ever since hearing Jonah relay a Seneca legend about a magical bear Rhett was bruin obsessed. He wrote his name over the bears head in large awkward letters.

“That the Indian people were purse and cutie. I didn`t never seen Jonah with a purse and I don`t think he`s a cutie either. I think Mr. Boyer sniffs glue,” the first grader announced then returned to his steam bruin. A blaring horn got me moving again.

“Okay, let`s handle these one at a time. First, Jonah and I are not getting married. We`re going on a date. One date doesn`t mean I`m marrying the man. Second, even if I did marry Jonah - which I`m not – but if I did your name would still be Waters.”

“Your name would be Big Deer. I like that better.”

“Yes, my name would but I`d be his wife. You`re a Waters, you`ll always be a Waters. It`s beside the point because I`m not marrying Jonah." I turned the clunky heater up another notch. “Third, the Native American people were persecuted, not purse and cutie,” I explained working quite hard to suppress a smile at the lads expense.

“Is persecuted like hated?”

“It is, yes.” I glanced at his profile. He was so very much Rhick`s son right down to the way his nose turned up a bit on the end.

“It`s stupid to hate people. I like Jonah and Andy. I wish I was Indian,” Rhett said with the kind of enthusiasm only a six year old can muster.

“I agree. It is stupid to hate,” I replied while pulling into Rhick`s driveway.

Two cars sat in front of the modest home my ex and his new wife owned. I started chewing on my bottom lip. The porch light came on and I exhaled loudly when Rhick came down the steps, hands in his pockets and shoulders hunched against the cold. I sat behind the wheel of my Toyota, watching the man jog to his son`s door then try to tug it open. It took more than a tug, it took the Incredible Hulk to wrench it open but this was the only car I could afford after the divorce. His new wife had a nice green Prius. I hate green cars. The door groaned and freezing cold air blew into the car. Rhick stuck his head in. He was still just as damned cute as he ever was, the bastard.

“You`re early." He ruffled his son`s hair as the boy struggled with the sticky seat-belt. “We didn`t get the lights up on the porch. Must be your mother is in a hurry to meet her date.”

“At least I waited for our marriage to be over before I – You know what, why don`t you get his bags out of the trunk?” I pushed the damned little button with the image of an open trunk on it.

God, that was close. I promised myself that I would not be that woman in front of my son. Rhett loved his father. Rhick loved his boy. He just didn`t love me. Screw him and the horse he rode in on. I had a date with Jonah Big Deer in thirty minutes. Rhick`s bullshit was not going to sour this night for me.

“Mom, you`ll be getting me tomorrow, right? Will Jonah be here?” Rhett asked. Rhick, who has bionic hearing when it`s something not of his concern, arrived back at the open passenger door, two duffel bags in hand.

“Yeah, Dana, will Jonah be here tomorrow?” Rhick asked, his breath clouding in front of his smug face.

The denial was on the tip of my tongue. Instead of giving my ex the benefit of seeing me squirm I decided to play it cool.

“If he`s here you`ll see him,” I told my son then kissed his pink cheek. “Now go have fun and make sure you show Inga how to decorate a Christmas tree properly.”

“She`s Swedish, Dana, they know about Christmas. Unlike the kid you`re seeing tonight,” Rhick snarled, hurried our son out into the cold then slammed the door as hard as he could. I grimaced, fearing for the car in general. One good slam could be all it took for the rusted out POS to disintegrate, leaving me sitting alongside the curb in my best black dress with a steering wheel in my hands.

“Did I detect a tint of racism?” I asked my rattling heater. “Or was that jealousy?” Rhick was going to be forty in eight weeks. Jonah Big Deer was twenty and six. It was pretty obvious that age was just one of many differences between the two men.



Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented Tuesday Tales authors.





10 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

OMG, I love this!! The sarcasm, the take of a little kid on words and his open attitue toward Jonah. This is writing at it's best, Vicki. And I simply love it. I wouldn't change a comma. It's brilliant.

V.L. Locey said...

Aw, thank you so much, Jean. <3

Iris Blobel said...

Great post. Loved it! Especially the 'conversation' between the ex's.
But "were purse and cutie" is a ripper. Well done, and well done on a very real 6-yr!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Iris. Having had one a six year old, many years ago, sure did help! =)

SherryGLoag said...

Love the power of this scene and all the undercurrents.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Sherry. Dana's ex certainly has a knot in his knickers by the sounds.

morgan said...

Funny how that works out. He left her, and yet he's jealous if she goes out with anyone. Typical. Great job of portraying this.

V.L. Locey said...

Isn't it funny how that happens? Thanks for dropping by, Morgan!

Jillian said...

wonderful post. I love how you had him misunderstand the word and the mother's explanation. I also like the way you used the prompt.

chrysnjay said...

Love it, love it, love it!!
Great scene with her and her son. Dialog is just like you're in the car with them. And he's adorable. Love the purse and cutie part.