Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Twisted Sister Query



Alternatively, we can call my post today the 'What Do You Want to Do with Your Writing Life?' question. Dee Snider will not be making a guest writing appearance in this blog post, sorry Twisted Sister fans. Here`s a picture. Enjoy.



I'm repeatedly asked 'How are you so prolific?' Well, truthfully, 'What are you smoking up there on the mountain?' is the most frequently asked, but 'How are you so prolific?' is a close second. I have my stock answer of . . .


"I put my butt into the chair daily and I write."       


I know that`s a simple reply to a complex question so I`ll try to probe a bit deeper to show how I do what it is I do. Of course, what works for me may not work for others.  I'm just sharing what I have learned through a few years of trial and error. 


It seems to me that the people who are asking me how I write so much aren`t non-writers for the most part, they are other authors. I see so many of my fellow scribes struggling to put words down on the page for their novels but spending countless hours writing blog posts. They'll pen two or three thousand word posts daily, bi or tri-weekly, about a multitude of issues, concerns, rants, thoughts, etc. for their blog but lament about not having that book they started four years ago done.


So I will ask . . .


What do you want to do with your writing life?


You may have to choose. I know I did. While I enjoy blogging, my real passion is being a romance novelist. A few years ago, I had to decide which I wanted to do more. There is only so much time in the day. If I spend my time writing blog posts, my books sit untouched. So I
made the call and am now a full-time novelist. Sure, I blog about things in my life, the critters I share it with, and the general silliness that fills my brain on occasion, but I don`t let blogging hog up my writing time. I blog when I can. I do not blog heavily when I have novels to write. I consider blogging and my fan fiction side jobs. My novels are my full-time job, and as such, they get top priority.


What do you want to do with your writing life?


You may have to ask yourself this difficult question when you find yourself bemoaning/apologizing/explaining why you do not have time to write your book in your blog posts. I think it all comes down to what you want to do with your career. Or . . .


What do you want to do with your writing life?


If poetry is your love then embrace your poetry. If you love blogging, then blog away, my friend! Blog until you can't blog anymore. However, if you want to write books, then perhaps you need to sit down and reevaluate your goals. We are only human. We can't do it all. Multitasking does not work, the Mythbuster`s proved it.

If you're trying to juggle being a daily blogger with being a novelist/employee/parent/lover/marketing and promotion strategist something is going to suffer. Since we can't let it be the spouse, kids, or job guess what generally feels the time crunch the worst? Yep. Your novel. My husband is always saying that life is about choices. This may be one of those tough choices you have to make in life--blog when you have a spare hour or work on the novel? Only you can decide.


Whatever your choice is, I wish you the best with it. Love your choice. Own it, hug it, squeeze it, and call it George. Give it all your devotion, good karma, and spare time and I promise it will pay you back in joy, self-satisfaction, and knowledge that you have found your calling. 




No comments: