Monday, September 22, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week we get a small snippet since it`s a picture prompt. The excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be three hundred words or under.  

I'm still sharing White Moon, Yellow Leaves, my M/F contemporary multicultural romance. Last week we ended with Dana and Jonah on Thanksgiving day. Let`s see what happens next!



White Moon, Yellow Leaves
*~*

            Not to sound like a braggart, but Aunt Jo-Jo and I really outdid ourselves. The meal was delicious. The desserts afterwards were mouth-watering, although I can`t take credit for that. The two apple pies were all Aunt Jo. It was such an enjoyable time. We all ate slowly and talked long. Andy told us an exciting tale from his youth about an outing at a lake that involved an abandoned barn. I could see it clearly in my mind's eye. 

            We kept sampling small dabs of scalloped corn, stuffing, turkey, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Even Rhett ate well, proclaiming that he had lots of room since he had used the bathroom.

            “Don`t look at me. I didn`t teach him to say that,” Aunt Jo said.

            “It sounds like something my grandson would say.” Andy winked as he ladled gravy over his mound of potatoes. Andy looked much as I had remembered him: a huge bear of a man with a voice that sounded much like a bruin in depth and tone. His short hair was all silver now. He was using two crutches. His skin was deep sienna and covered with laugh lines. I chuckled and peeked to my left. It did not escape my notice that Aunt Jo-Jo had placed me next to Jonah.

            “Hey now,” Jonah countered, pausing in his roll buttering.

            “See how he assumes it`s him I`m talking about?” Andy said as he tucked a napkin into the front of his dress shirt. “I got ten grandsons and thirteen granddaughters, and yet Jonah-” he waved his fork at the man beside me, “-jumps right up and figures it’s him.”

            “That`s because it generally is,” Jonah admitted, giving me a wink before we took a moment to say grace: one version in German and another in Seneca.

Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.









13 comments:

Jillian said...

LOL with the extra room comment by Rhett. AND I want to come by for that dinner. It sounds divine.

V.L. Locey said...

It made me hungry reading over that scene as well, Jillian! Thanks for dropping by.

Jean Joachim said...

I love this story.Can't wait until it's a book and I can read the whole thing at once. Love the food references here, too.

chrysnjay said...

I loved how you worked the prompt into the scene, without making the picture the whole scene. If that makes sense.
And BTW, if I haven't said before - I LOVE your title!

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks muchly Jean and Chrisnjay.

It was kind of tough to work the picture prompt in this time, glad to hear it worked.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Well done. Jonah is a hottie. When does this book come out? I want to read it.

V.L. Locey said...

Jonah is a real good guy, no doubt.

This is a complete free read, so no one will have to wait for a book to come out! Since this ran on the internet before, on a site with very low views, I decided to use it for TT as I had nothing that hadn`t been contracted to share.

Thanks for dropping by, Flossie.

Sarah Cass said...

Haha!! Love this charming little moment in time. I also love thea dded touch fo the dual prayers.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks Sarah!

SherryGLoag said...

I'm glad you're sharing this with us. It's charming. As a Brit, I could feel the close-knot unity of the people round the table.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks so much, Sherry!

morgan said...

What a lovely, warm scene. I felt like I was there. :)

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks, Morgan.