Monday, September 15, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Curly

Welcome back to Tuesday Tales! It's time for  romance. Now that Dana has had a chat with her great Aunt Jo let`s see how that Thanksgiving dinner turns out, shall we?

Our word prompt this week is 'Curly'. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!


White Moon, Yellow Leaves

*~*~*








I felt like a teenager waiting for her prom date all Thanksgiving morning. Each sound made me glance at the steamed windows expecting a slamming car door to follow. By the time we had the potatoes peeled Aunt Jo had had enough of my nervous state. She banished me to my room to get ready. Rhett was splayed out over my bed coloring, Herr Poopbottom at his side.

I took a few minutes to compliment how well he had stayed in the lines. Glancing at the wind-up alarm clock I saw it was already past noon. Andy had called yesterday to accept the invitation and inquire as to meal time. It would be at one Jo-Jo had told him. I had less than an hour to get all cougar hot. Roar! Pfft. Shit on the roaring. I was ready to hide under the bed like some fraidy cat headed to the vet. Pushing myself I rose from the bed to find something to wear.

            I didn`t want to be too sexy, which was good because sexy was not what I had packed for. I tugged the outfit I had planned to wear and eyed it critically. It was a bit wrinkled but those should fall out if I hung the black leggings and white eyelet blouse up while I bathed. The simple yet fey blouse was one of my favorites. It had a square neckline and wide belled sleeves. Grabbing my best underwear along with makeup and blow dryer I left my son to color then walked across the hall to the bathroom.

The process took longer than it should have. I shaved everything that needed shaving and a few parts that really didn`t. I scrubbed and lathered and rinsed and repeated. The floors were icy cold when I stepped from the tub. I danced a bit from foot to foot while shoving my arms into a thick terry robe. Swiping the steam from the mirror I began to pluck at a few stray eyebrows that taunted me. Makeup was carefully applied. My short blonde hair was tugged and flipped and blown dry, the ends curly and rather cute I thought. Perfume was spritzed onto pulse points. Small black hoop earrings were pushed through my earlobes.

The eyelet blouse had lost its wrinkles I was very happy to see. Wriggling into the leggings with skin fresh from a hot bath turned into my cardio for the day. The blouse fluttered down over me, dropping down past my hips, the tips of the sleeves brushing my wrists. I slipped my feet into a pair of black flats. I was done. A knock on the door yanked me from studying myself in the looking glass.

“Mom, I have to use the toilet!” Rhett called urgently from the other side. I opened the door. Steam rushed out into the short hallway. My son looked up at me. His blue eyes widened.

“How do I look?” I asked. He mumbled something and pushed me into the hall, the bathroom door clicking at my back. Jonah Big Deer stood in the kitchen. All manner of coherent speech failed me.

“You look good,” Jonah offered. I mumbled "thanks" and returned the compliment. He did look good. Damned good. Too damned good. He was wearing a pair of ebony jeans, a white shirt with long sleeves, and a gorgeous hand-beaded black leather vest. His hair was loose and the neatly cut ends brushed his waistband.

Aunt Jo laughed raucously at something Andy had said. The smell of the roasting turkey made my stomach rumble rudely. Knowing I couldn`t stand here in the hall staring at Jonah while the sides of my belly rubbed against each other I moved forward. Seven steps from the bathroom to the doorway leading to the kitchen. Seven of the longest steps I can recall ever making. Passing Jonah I caught a whiff of his cologne. A hint of musk joined with dark spices. It fit the man perfectly.

“I meant you look amazing,” Jonah amended as I passed. I gave him a fleeting look over my shoulder. His obsidian eyes held the promise of what could be. The tiny ember of attraction I had carried inside me since first seeing him ignited, engulfing me in a firestorm of want. One side of his mouth quirked upward. Did he feel the fire licking at his skin as well?

This promised to be a Thanksgiving dinner I would never forget.



Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*


Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the Tuesday Tales writers. 

13 comments:

Iris Blobel said...

Hahaha. .I shaved everything that needed shaving and a few parts that really didn`t..... Love it. Great snippet and the tensions between the two ... Well done. Can't wait for more.

V.L. Locey said...

I think Dana may be a bit nervous. Thanks for dropping by, Iris!

Sarah Cass said...

Yowza ~fans self~ Oh my, and what a dinner to remember...I'd like him on a plate, please...oh my.

V.L. Locey said...

Ha,ha,ha! That would have to be one darn big plate, Sarah!

Thanks for coming by to visit.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

That Jonah- I hope he's the Thanksgiving dessert! Wonderful excerpt as always.

Jean Joachim said...

Wow! I love the subtle steam between them. The description of her getting ready set the scene perfectly. I felt how nervous she was and smiled at the memories of all my "first" dates. This is a delicious story.

V.L. Locey said...

You and me both, Flossie.

Subtle steam. I like that description, Jean!

Thanks for coming by gals.

SherryGLoag said...

while the sides of my belly rubbed against each other -- this made me laugh, but what a great description.

Jillian said...

giggled over this one- especially the shaving parts that might not need it. *grins*

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for commenting Jillian and Sherry!

chrysnjay said...

Perfection! Your descriptions, amusing word play, building of steamy tension. Great snippet!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you chrysnjay!

morgan said...

I love the way her behavior contradicts her thoughts with her shaving parts that didn't need shaving too.