Monday, July 14, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Welcome to another edition of Tuesday Tales, and more White Moon, Yellow Leaves, a M/F contemporary romance. We have a picture prompt this week so the excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be three hundred words or under.  

Last week Dana was left a bit flustered by the intense physical attraction she felt for Jonah. That he seemed to be attracted to her as well left her stammering. Now, as she readies for the agreed upon walk on the grouse path with her son, Herr Poopbottom, and Jonah, we get a short glimpse into her mindset. 








I showered in water that felt like it had been piped in directly from Mud Puppy Lake. The tiny water heater had been drained by Aunt Jo earlier and no-one had started the generator to get things percolating again. My teeth were chattering as I tried to brush them afterwards. Cracking the door to invite some heat in, I dressed quickly, pulling on a pair of jeans and a russet sweater packed for Thanksgiving Day. The thick turtleneck felt divine, as did the long sleeves dangling past my fingertips. I opted to do just a bit of makeup: light foundation, powder, blush, eye shadow, liner, mascara, lip stick, and a dash of perfume. Once I was done I stared at myself in the small oval mirror above the sink.

            “What the hell are you doing, Dana?” I questioned my reflection. I was trying to look good for a young man who was probably being nice to me out of respect for my age and family friendship. I dropped my head, hands splayed on the counter, and stared at the toothpaste spots in the sink. Was I really that starved for attention that I`d take a nice gesture and warp it into something it wasn`t?  The answer was pretty obvious. Next I`d be fantasizing about him and I sharing a heated embrace under a glowing white moon! Such silliness. As if a man like Jonah Big Deer would be interested in a divorced mother who was far from a size two and ten years his senior.  I grabbed a washcloth then scoured the makeup off. When I stepped outside, my face was clean, my hair was uncurled, my jeans and sweater were scruffy, and my place in the world was secure once again.







Copyright 2012 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


See you next week!



15 comments:

Tabitha Shay said...

Like this story. I want to read more dialogue between thesetwo characters...

V.L. Locey said...

No worries, Tabitha. Next week we`ll see plenty of dialog! ;)

Jean Joachim said...

Love being inside her head, feeling her insecurity about him and her frustration at her own feelings. Can't wait for these two to get together. I think they'll be explosive.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Ha, I bet he probably prefers a woman with a fresh scrubbed face. At least I hope so:) Love these two.

V.L. Locey said...

Jonah is a man that knows what he wants and likes, I`ll say that much.

Thanks for stopping by Jean and Flossie!

Cathy Brockman said...

I love Jonah!! Great story!

V.L. Locey said...

So do I, Cathy! Thanks for dropping by.

Jillian said...

great inner thoughts- especially the last paragraph! Loving this story so far.

Iris Blobel said...

Love it, the inner dialogue about wanting to look good and not wanting to be disillusioned by it all.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Jillian and Iris.

Seems Dana has some issues with her self-image. Hopefully Jonah can help her get over that.

Sarah Cass said...

I love a May/December story (have one w/ a slightly lesser age difference...10 years...myself)...and I cannot wait to see how this pair develops. :D

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Sarah. There are 6 years between my husband and me, with me being the elder. I`m rather fond of a good May/December myself. =)

trishafaye said...

Loved it!! Loved the first dressing up part, and then the scrubbing down & back to basics.
I don't think you can write anything I DON'T like.

V.L. Locey said...

Aw thanks Tricia, you`re so kind.

S.E said...

Nice passage.