Monday, June 9, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing excerpts from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867.

We have a picture prompt this week so the excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be three hundred words or under. Today`s excerpt is the beginning of the last chapter, and we`ll catch up with how things have turned out more fully next week.

A note for my readers:  This is a gay romance novel, and so the romance that occurs is man on man. If this is not your cup of tea, no one will think less of you if you read no further.

 As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!

Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!



The heat inside the jailhouse was beyond what a human should endure. My deputy and I had moved from the stifling brick building to lounge outside on a wooden bench that had been graciously donated by Price Railways. A Texas storm loomed on the horizon, cooling us with its gusty winds. Zeke lit a cheroot, waved it under my nose, then chuckled darkly at my sour face. In the month that had passed since our return from San Antonio, my deputy had become well acquainted with my likes and dislikes. He also knew well how to hold me in the night when I woke screaming, my soldier`s heart galloping inside my chest. Life had taken on a rather pleasant demeanor, aside from my night and sometimes day terrors.

Peony Rose was thrilled to have three men living with her. We all had new shirts. Boyden spent his days with the elderly old Indian woman, learning how to sew, cook, skin the game that Zeke and I hunted, and curse in Tonkawa. According to Ezekiel, Boyden`s cussing skills were nearly as good as his. I generally did not find that to be amusing but when I could not be there with the boy, Peony Rose showered affection on him, and that is what he needs. His mother`s death weighs heavily on him at times. I fear he has my penchant for self-recrimination and loathing. I pray not. Surely, if not for Ezekiel Fire Sky, I would have died a hundred times by now. Not all those deaths brought about by others, either.


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.




See you next week with the conclusion of Laco Law. 

13 comments:

Sarah Cass said...

Beautiful passage. I love seeing how things are after they rescue Boyden.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Sarah. We`ll have more next week.

SherryGLoag said...

So much shared in so few words. So much emotion and detail of the people around him.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks so much, Sherry.

Jillian said...

love, love, love that first paragraph. Beautifully written.

V.L. Locey said...

Aw, thank you, Jillian.

Jean Joachim said...

Gave me goosebumps. Love how the boy might take after his uncle. Poignant portrait of a motherless boy in the old West.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Jean. It does sound like Boyden may take after Clayton a great deal.

trishafaye said...

Beautifully crafted, as usual. I think you need to take out your intro sentence about it being your Nano work and quite rough. I have never seen your writing anywhere near rough. It's always top notch.

V.L. Locey said...

Trisha, you are too kind. Thank you. *hugs*

kathleen ball said...

love this story

morgan said...

So much emotion and passage in such a short segment. Last sentence packs a punch. It makes the reader stop and think, then there's an aha moment. (Ok, maybe that was just me.)

Aha, great!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you Morgan and Kathleen for the kind words!