Monday, June 2, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Bottom


Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing excerpts from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867.

This week our word prompt 'Bottom'. In this excerpt Clayton, Zeke, and the boys try to make their escape.

 A note for my readers:  This is a gay romance novel, and so the romance that occurs is man on man. If this is not your cup of tea, no one will think less of you if you read no further.

 As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!

 

 

 

Zeke cleared his throat. I kissed my nephew soundly on his cheeks before I placed his bare feet on the ground. The slop bucket had been knocked bottom over top as the boys had flown from their cage.

“We got to get these boys out of here,” Zeke said gently. We climbed out of the cellar, keeping the boys behind us.

“We have only come to free the children!” I yelled when we encountered heavy gunfire at the top of the basement stairs. “If you let us leave with them, I will not return!”

A second ticked by. I threw a questioning look at my deputy who was crouched on the left side of the busted doorframe. Zeke shook his head. I agreed. They would not accept those terms. I would not have either. Every word was a lie. I planned to kill every single bastard involved in this slavery ring. I suspect they may have picked up the loathing in my voice. So be it. I whispered to the ten boys itching to be free to stay low and run when they were told to run.

“Make sure he gets out of here safely,” I told Zeke then I ran the gauntlet. Ezekiel cursed at my back as I charged down that hallway, shooting as quickly as I could work my Henry`s lever. At this juncture I did not care if I lived or died, but I would be damned if I would let another person I loved die because of cowardice.

 Yes, I was scared. But I was also resolved. By the time I reached the end of the hallway that led to the kitchen, I had a rather nasty gouge above my ear from a bullet. The wound was bleeding copiously but the upper floor was silent. I stumbled into the kitchen, blood filling my right ear. Zeke and the boys came thundering down the hall. The mob of lads made a beeline for the kitchen door. I was simultaneously hugged by Boyden and dressed down by Zeke.

Thankfully the upbraiding was in Tonkawa so Boyden`s ears were not scathed too badly. While moving though the kitchen, Zeke removed a hand towel from a small drying rack, slapped it into my hand, then cussed at me yet again in his native tongue. Boyden was clinging to me like a dog tick, his head rested on my shoulder. We ran out into the night. I held my Henry in one hand, my nephew in the other. The towel was held against the crevice in my skull by Boyden.

 There we were faced with two options. Pursue the lisping man and what remained of his underlings, or get the boys to the barn then off the property. Boyden`s weight on my hip made the decision for us. With Zeke driving the chuck wagon, and me riding alongside them, we rode from that den of depravity with as much speed as could be mustered. My kith and kin rode in front of me, his scrawny frame resting against my chest. We may have arrived in San Antonio looking like a pack of vagabonds, but that did not lessen the joy of those recently freed. Nor the joy in my own heart when I looked down upon Boyden`s yellow-brown hair, or into the black eyes of my deputy who was assessing me with great worry.


Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

 
*~*~*

 Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


 See you next week with more from the old West!

 

10 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

Fabulous, evocative scene! Loved this wthole rescue. I feel as though I was there. This is an action-packed story and will be a great book.

Ros Nazilli said...

I love the name Zeke and I keep meaning to say you have a beautiful blog here..

Am enjoying this story very much...x

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you both, Jean and Ros, for the kind words and read. =)

Sarah Cass said...

So glad they were able to save the boys! Great excerpt. :D

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you, Sarah! I think they made the right call in getting those lads to safety.

Karen Cino said...

Wonderful excerpt. I'm so happy the were happy to save the boys.

Jillian said...

great job on this week's post. I love the description of the bullet grazing him and the ear filling with blood. Very well done.

V.L. Locey said...

Many thanks, Jillian!

Iris Blobel said...

well done, great excerpt indeed!

morgan said...

Another great job :)