Saturday, May 17, 2014

Showdown In The Fiction Section

I know that most of you who watch the NHL have seen some of these Geico ads:




I thought I was going to have a showdown with another hockey fan when I was at my last author event, but things went a decidedly different way. Thank goodness. He was much bigger than me. Things started off smoothly enough. I arrived early at my beloved indie bookstore. The table display went nicely.



Customers started coming in, friends dropped by. I signed a few copies of both books and chatted with folks. Then I saw him, out of the corner of my eye. Orange shirt. Orange hat. A Flyers fan. Oh no. My lip wanted to curl. I could still recall the passion, anger, and shenanigans that occurred during the series my Rangers had just won against the Flyers. There is no love lost between the teams or the fan base. 

But, I had to be nice. After all, how would it look if I ran at the man while he perused the non-fiction section then hit him with a book? So I sat there beside my books and table top, innocence oozing out of me. He turned. His eyes roamed over the display then fastened onto the Rangers emblem front and center. I braced myself. He walked over.



"What`s all this?" he asked with a wave of his hand. I eyed him warily. He sized me up. I could hear spaghetti western movie music playing in my head.

"This is a cancer charity anthology, with all royalties being donated to the cause. Every author involved is a proud supporter of Hockey Fights Cancer," I said, hoping my Blueshirt pride was evident. He looked over the display, then the books, then that glorious Rangers insignia.

"Who do I pay?" he asked.

So while we might have had sharp words during the series, it seems that some hockey rivalries fall by the wayside when a needy charity is involved. Hockey fans are the greatest!






4 comments:

Cathy Brockman said...

LOL I can vision the two of you standing there thumbs in jeans... glaring... LOL glad he bought a book good luck on the charity

V.L. Locey said...

Ha,ha,ha! Good thing no one yelled "Draw!"

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think it would have looked pretty cool if you had chased him down and whacked him on the head with your books, but hey, I'm a Pens fan so any excuse to start a brawl with the Flyers, even if it wasn't on Broad Street.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

That young man was a class act, good for him! (from Lola, who else?!)

V.L. Locey said...

Ha,ha,ha!

I could see that happening. A Flyers and Rangers fan clocking each other with cook books while a Pens fan cheers them on! =)