Monday, April 21, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing excerpts from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867.

We have a picture prompt this week so the excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be three hundred words or under.  

A note for my readers:  This is a gay romance novel, and so the romance that occurs is man on man. If this is not your cup of tea, no one will think less of you if you read no further.

 As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!



They were the most gloriously stupid men I had ever met. Drunk as hogs they fired at us sloppily. I called to the four drunkards again. They kindly refused to lay down their weapons. Bringing them in dead sounded better to me. So we proceeded to pick them off one by one. It was akin to shooting at chickens in a pen. 

When one head would pop up in the window, the Henry balanced on my knee would eradicate the outlaw. I had plucked three inebriated fools when Zeke entered the dusty Express station. I stood up, cradled my Henry, and waited. He emerged a few moments later, his hands covered with blood.

“You shall need to stop doing that when you are wearing the badge,” I informed him as we went about gathering the bodies for transport back to Galveston. Hopefully they carried bounties for we were sorely lacking in funds. His eyebrow quirked upward in response. “It upsets the civilians,” I added. He stooped down to rub dirt over the tacky red liquid coating his fingers, his motions cool as a breeze over a snow-capped mountain.

“Maybe the civilians should be worried about upsetting me,” he commented as he worked the dust into the blood.

“Maybe, but since they outnumber you by a few thousand, you may wish to reconsider your defiant disposition. Scalping is not accepted among the . . .”

“Who said I scalped him? Quick to jump to conclusions, aren`t you, Pan?”



Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


See you next week with more from the old West!



14 comments:

Jean Joachim said...

Hell, yeah, I'd be afraid of him. He's a wonderful, powerful character, a man of few but meaningful words. This is a great story.

Sarah Cass said...

Oooh, shouldn't do a quick judgment there. Still, I like this snippet, plenty of action and I sure hope those outlaws had a bounty. :D

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you ladies!

Seems Clayton would know better than to assume anything about Zeke by now.

Flossie Benton Rogers said...

Sounds interesting! Good story.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you much, Flossie!

Iris B said...

Did my comment disappear?
It was an interesting post ... esp learning about Henry ;-)

V.L. Locey said...

I`ll never look at a Henry the same way. Thanks for stopping by, Iris! ;)

Jillian said...

Love it- great snippet as usual. This story is great. Scalping not being accepted made me giggle a little, too.

trishafaye said...

Ha! See what I get for waiting to finish up the rounds? I had to wait to see how he 'cradled his Henry' lol.
Great scene.

V.L. Locey said...

Ha,ha,ha! Yes, the infamous 'Cradled Henry'!

Thanks for stopping by Trisha and Jillian. =)

morgan said...

I love the gloriously stupid phrase...so apt. :)

V.L. Locey said...

It fit pretty well, didn`t it? Thanks for sipping by, Morgan!

SherryGLoag said...

It shouldn't - not now - but it still amazes me what great scenes are created for these TT picture prompts, and this is another one.

V.L. Locey said...

We do have an incredibly talented group of authors here in Tuesday Tales.