Monday, March 24, 2014

Tuesday Tales - Picture Prompt

Hello! It`s time for Tuesday Tales again. This week I`ll be sharing excerpts from my 2013 NaNoWriMo novel, Laco Law – The Gnarled Oak. Laco Law is an M/M historical western romance, set in the fictional county of Laco, Texas in 1867.

We have a picture prompt this week so the excerpt is written to reflect the image and must be three hundred words or under. In this snippet we find Clay and Zeke have arrived in Galveston.

A note for my readers:  This is a gay romance novel, and so the romance that occurs is man on man. If this is not your cup of tea, no one will think less of you if you read no further.

 As this is my NaNo work, it is quite rough. I do ask that you overlook any glaring mistakes you may find. Please do check out the other wonderful writers after you`re done reading by clicking on the Tuesday Tales link at the bottom. Thanks for stopping in!



When we emerged from that cattle car we were indeed a pitiful sight. Our horses looked, and I can assume, even smelled better than us. I drew in a deep breath. Among the various smells of a busy port city there was the salt water tang of the ocean on the wind. Zeke stood stiffly at my side, the reins to our horses white-knuckled in his left hand. The city of Galveston was truly remarkable. 

It spread as far as the human eye could see. If you glanced in the direction of the harbor, you could see the masts of the sailing ships above the roofs of the hundreds of homes and businesses. Carts drawn by horses cluttered every available inch of space beyond the train depot. Dog was a flurry of indecision. Zeke spoke to him, telling him to stay close.

Wagons selling everything from furs, hand-crafted metallic mirrors, and chili con carne vied for our attention. We walked among the many hawkers peddling their wares. I finally did manage to get one of the ‘Chili Queens’ – the women who served food in the plaza – to point me in the direction of the Price Railroad building. 

After paying her a penny for a cup of the spicy bean and meat concoction, she pointed us to the largest building in the railway plaza. Zeke enjoyed the chili con carne immensely

The Price Railroad & Port Authority office was an impressive wooden structure with three floors and many windows. We hitched our horses, removed our hats, told Dog to stay, stamped the cow shit from our boots, then entered the hustle-bustle office. Several young men looked up from desks. I saw Zeke tug up the grimy bandana around his thick neck.

“I`m looking for Mister Brooks Price,” I told the office workers. Above us on the second floor, a man emerged from an office paned with glass.

Copyright 2013 ©by V.L. Locey

*~*~*

Click on the link below to return to the Tuesday Tales main blog for more great reads from the talented authors of Tuesday Tales.


See you next week with more from the old West!





12 comments:

Iris B said...

Nice way to add the prompt into the story. Well done.

morgan said...

Great description of Galveston and I loved the chili queen tidbit. You've done your research.

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you Iris and Morgan.

This story required as much research as my Greek mythological romances. From chili queens to PTSD in the Civil War, this novel kept my nose in the research pages. It was all worth it, as I discovered a real love for M/M historical romance!

Jean Joachim said...

Wonderful, evocative scene. I swear I can smell the guys, the harbor and see Galveston. Anxious to see what happens when they meet with Brooks. Beautifully done, Vicki.

Sarah Cass said...

Love the juxtaposition of their worn selves to the crisp, bustling city. I have a feeling they're leaving quite an impression in their wake.

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for stopping by Sarah and Jean!

Yep, I suspect the meeting with Mr. Brooks Price may be quite interesting.

kathleen ball said...

You do a great job of drawing us into the time period!!

V.L. Locey said...

Thank you very much, Kathleen!

SherryGLoag said...

I love how you managed to include the mirror in this story.

Jillian said...

Nice use of the prompt. I would've loved to be there to look at the crafts and eat some chili. *wanders off to find some chili and cheese*

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks Jillian. Hmm, chili with cheese does sound good! Maybe we`ll have that for dinner tonight.

writerszenblog said...

Great snippet! I loved how you wove the prompt into the scene. I love this story. Of course, the set in Texas part hooked me. But what you've done with the story and the characters is fantastic.